Former, Director, Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology
Papers in refereed Publications
150. Sharmila S., Joseph S., Chattopadhyay R., Sahai A.K., Goswami B.N., 2014: Asymmetry in space-time characteristics of Indian summer monsoon intraseasonal oscillations during extreme years: Role of seasonal mean state, Int. J. Clim., Published online, June 2014, DOI:10.1002/joc.4100, 1-16
149. Konwar M., Das S.K., Deshpande S.M., Chakravarty K., Goswami B.N., 2014: Microphysics of clouds and rain over the Western Ghat, JGR: Atmos., 119, June 2014, DOI:10.1002/2014JD021606, 1-20
148. Taraphdar S., Mukhopadhyay P., Leung L.R., Zhang F., Abhilash S., Goswami B.N., 2014: Role of moist processes in the intrinsic predictability of Indian Ocean Cyclones, JGR: Atmos., (Accepted), June 2014, DOI:10.1002/2013JD021265, 1-41
147. Deshpande N.R., Goswami B.N., 2013: Modulation of the dirunal cycle of rainfall over India by intraseasonal variations of Indian summer monsoon, Int. J. Clim., Vol.34, April 2014, DOI:10.1002/joc.3719, 793-807
146. Fadnavis S., Raj P.E., Buchunde P., Goswami B.N., 2013: In search of influence of stratospheric Quasi-Biennial Oscillation on tropical cyclones tracks over the Bay of Bengal region, Int. J. Clim., Vol. 34, March 2014, DOI:10.1002/joc.3706, 567-580
145. Abhilash S., Shai A.K., Borah N., Chattopadhyay R., Joseph S., Sharmila S., De S., Goswami B.N., Arun Kumar, 2014: Prediction and monitoring of monsoon intraseasonal oscillations over Indian monsoon region in an ensemble prediction system using CFSv2, Clim. Dyn., Published online, January 2014, DOI:10.1007/s00382-013-2045-9, 1-15
144. Goswami B.B., Deshpande M.S., Mukhopadhyay P., Saha Subodh K., Rao Suryachandra A., Murthugudde R., Goswami B.N., 2014: Simulation of monsoon intraseasonal variability in NCEP CFSv2 and its role on systematic bias, Clim. Dyn., Published online, February 2014, DOI:10.1007/s00382-014-2089-5, 1-21
143. Abhilash S., Sahai A. K., Pattnaik S., Goswami B.N., Arun Kumar, 2014: Extended range prediction of active-break spells of Indian summer monsoon rainfall using an ensemble prediction system in NCEP Climate Forecast System, Int. Jr. Clim, Vol.34, 2014, DOI:10.1002/joc.3668, 98-113
142. Sahai A.K., Chattopadhyay R., Joseph S., Borah N., Goswami B.N., 2013: New method to compute the principal components from self-organizing maps: an application to monsoon intraseasonal oscillations, International Journal of Climatology , Published online, December 2013, DOI:10.1002/joc.3885, 1-15
141. Abhilash S., Sahai A.K., Borah N., Chattopadhyay R., Joseph S., Sharmila S., De S., Goswami B.N., 2013: Does bias correction in the forecasted SST improve the extended range prediction skill of active-break spells of Indian summer monsoon rainfall? , Atmospheric Science Letters , Published online, December 2013, DOI:10.1002/asl2.477, 1-6
140. Mahakur M., Prabhu A., Sharma A.K., Rao V.R., Senroy S., Singh R., Goswami B.N., 2013: A high-resolution outgoing longwave radiation dataset from Kalpana-1 satellite during 2004-2012 , Curr. Sc., 105, October 2013, 1124-1133
139. Padmakumari B., Jaswal A.K., Goswami B.N., 2013: Decrease in evaporation over the Indian monsoon region: implication on regional hydrological cycle, Clim. Change, Published online, October 2013, DOI:10.1007/s10584-013-0957-3, 1-13
138. Goswami B.B., Mukhopadhyay P., Khairoutdinov M., Goswami B.N., 2013: Simulation of Indian summer monsoon intraseasonal oscillations in a superparameterized coupled climate model: need to improve the embedded cloud resolving model, Clim. Dyn., 41, September 2013, DOI:10.1007/s00382-012-1563-1, 1497-1507
137. Borah N., Sahai A.K., Chattopadhyay R., Joseph S., Abhilash S., Goswami B.N., 2013: Self-organizing map-based ensemble forecast system for extended range prediction of active/break cycles of Indian summer monsoon, J. Geophy. Res., published online 30 August 2013, Vol. 118, DOI:10.1002/jgrd.50688, 1-13
136. Siddharth Kumar, Hazra A., Goswami B.N., 2013: Role of interaction between dynamics, thermodynamics and cloud microphysics on summer monsoon precipitating clouds over the Myanmar Coast and the Western Ghat, Clim. Dyn., published online August 2013, DOI:10.1007/s00382-013-1909-3, 1-14
135. Goswami B.N., Krishnan R., 2013: Opportunities and challenges in monsoon prediction in a changing climate - Editorial of Special OCHAMP issue, Clim. Dyn., vol. 41, July 2013, DOI:10.1007/s00382-013-1835-4, 1
134. Sharmila S., Pillai P.A., Joseph S., Roxy M., Krishna R.P.M., Chattopadhyay R., Abhilash S., Sahai A.K., Goswami B.N., 2013: Role of ocean-atmosphere interaction on northward propagation of Indian summer monsoon intra-seasonal oscillations (MISO), Clim. Dyn., 41, September 2013, DOI:10.1007/s00382-013-1854-1, 1651-1669
133. Abhik S., Mukhopadhyay P., Goswami B.N., 2013: Evaluation of mean and intraseasonal variability of Indian summer monsoon simulation in ECHAM5: identification of possible source of bias, Clim. Dyn., Published online, 16 June 2013, DOI:10.1007/s00382-013-1824-7, 1-18
132. Suhas E., Neena J.M., Goswami B.N., 2013: An Indian monsoon intraseasonal oscillations (MISO) index for real time monitoring and forecast verification, Clim. Dyn., 40, DOI:10.1007/s00382-012-1462-5, 2605-2616
131. Hazra A., Goswami B.N., Chen J-P, 2013: Role of Interactions between Aerosol Radiative Effect, Dynamics and Cloud Microphysics on Transitions of Monsoon Intraseasonal Oscillations, J. Atmos. Sc., 70 , July 2013, DOI:10.1175/JAS-D-12-0179.1, 2073-2087
130. Padmakumari B., Maheskumar R.S., Morwal S.B., Harikishan G., Konwar M., Kulkarni J.R., Goswami B.N., 2013: Aircraft observations of elevated pollution layers near the foothills of the Himalayas during CAIPEEX-2009, Q.J.R.M.S., vol. 139, April 2013, DOI:10.1002/qj.1989, 625-638
129. Padmakumari B., Maheskumar R.S., Harikishan G., Kulkarni J.R., Goswami B.N., 2013: Comparative study of aircraft- and satellite-derived aerosol and cloud microphysical parameters during CAIPEEX-2009 over the Indian region, Int. J. Rem. Sensing, vol. 34, January 2013, DOI:10.1080/01431161.2012.705442, 358-373
128. Dipu S., Prabha T.V., Pandithurai G., Dudhia J., Pfister G., Rajesh K., Goswami B.N., 2013: Impact of elevated aerosol layer on the cloud macrophysical properties prior to monsoon onset, Atmos. Env., vol. 70, 2013, DOI:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2012.12.036, 454-467
127. Abhik S., Halder M., Mukhopadhyay P., Jiang X., Goswami B.N., 2013: A possible new mechanism for northward propagation of boreal summer intraseasonal oscillations based on TRMM and MERRA reanalysis, Clim. Dyn., vol. 40, 2013, DOI:10.1007/s00382-012-1425-x, 1611-1624
126. Pattnaik S., Abhilash S., De S., Sahai A.K., Phani R., Goswami B.N., 2013: Influence of convective parameterization on the systematic errors of Climate Forecast System (CFS) model over the Indian region from an extended range forecast perspective, Clim. Dyn., 41, July 2013, DOI:10.1007/s00382-013-1662-7, 341-365
125. Prabha T.V., Patade S., Pandithurai G., Khain A., Axisa D., Pradeep Kumar P., Maheshkumar R.S., Kulkarni J.R., Goswami B.N., 2012: Spectral width of premonsoon and monsoon clouds over Indo-Gangetic valley, J. Geophy. Res., vol. 117, D20205, DOI:10.1029/2011JD016837, 1-15
124. Pandithurai G., Dipu S., Prabha T.V., Maheskumar R.S., Kulkarni J.R., Goswami B.N., 2012: Aerosol effect on droplet spectral dispersion in warm continental cumuli, J. Geophy. Res., vol. 117, D16202, DOI:10.1029/2011JD016532, 1-15
123. Morwal S.B., Maheshkumar R.S., Padma Kumari B., Kulkarni J.R., Goswami B.N., 2012: Cloud microphysical properties over Indian monsoon regions during CAIPEEX-2009, J. Atm. Solar Terr. Phy., 81-82, DOI:10.1016/j.jastp.2012.04.01076-85, 76-85
122. Waliser D.E., Moncrieff M.W., Burridge D., Fink A.H., Gochis D., Goswami B.N. Guan B., Harr P., Heming J., Hsu H-H, Jakob C., Janiga M., Johnson R., Jones S., Knippertz P., Marengo J., Nguyen H., Pope M., Serra Y., Thorncroft C., Wheeler M., Wood R., Yuter S., 2012: The Year of tropical convection (May 2008-April 2010) Climate Variability and Weather highlights, B.A.M.S., August 2012, DOI:10.1175/2011BAMS3095.1, 1-31
121. Saha Subodh Kumar, Halder S., Suryachandra A. Rao, Goswami B.N., 2012: Modulation of ISOs by Land-Atmosphere Feedback and Contribution to the Interannual Variability of Indian Summer Monsoon, , J. Geophy. Res., July 2012, 117, D13101, doi:10.1029/2011JD017291, 1-14
120. Chakraborty S., Goswami B.N., Dutta K., 2012: Pacific coral oxygen isotope and the tropospheric temperature gradient over the Asian monsoon region: a tool to reconstruct past Indian summer monsoon rainfall, J. Quaternary Sc., doi: 10.1002/jqs.1541 27, June 2012, 269-278
119. Konwar M., Maheskumar R.S., Kulkarni J.R., Freud E., Goswami B.N., Rosenfeld D., 2012: Aerosol control on depth of warm rain in convective clouds, J. Geophy. Res., Vol. 117, July 2012, D13204, doi: 10.1029/2012JD017585, 1-10
118. Konwar M., Parekh A., Goswami B.N., 2012: Dynamics of east-west asymmetry of Indian Summer Monsoon rainfall trends in recent decades, , Geophy. Res. Lett., 39, May 2012, doi:10.1029/2012GL052018, L10708, 1-6
117. Prabha T.V., Karipot A., Axisa D., Padma Kumari B., Konwar M., Kulkarni J.R., Goswami B.N., 2012: Scale interactions near the foothills of Himalayas during CAIPEEX , J. Geophy. Res.,117, doi: 10.1029/2011JD016754, D10203
116.Joseph S., Sahai A.K., Goswami B.N. Terray P., Masson S., Luo J.-J., 2011: Possible role of warm SST bias in the simulation of boreal summer monsoon in SINTEX-F2 coupled model, Clim. Dyn., April 2012, 38, pp.1561-1576,DOI 10.1007/s00382-011-1264-1.
115. Kulkarni J.R., Maheshkumar R.S., Morwal S.B., Padma kumari B., Konwar M., Deshpande C.G., Joshi R.R., Bhalwankar R.V., Pandithurai G., Safai P.D., Narkhedkar S.G., Dani K.K., Nath A., Nair Sathy, Sapre V.V., Puranik P.V., Kandalgaonkar S.S., Mujumdar V.R., Khaladkar R.M., Vijaykumar R., Prabha T.V., Goswami B.N. 2012: Cloud Aerosol Interaction and Precipitation Enhancement Experiment (CAIPEEX): overview and preliminary results , Curr. Sc., 102, pp. 413-425
114. Suhas E., Neena J.M., Goswami B.N., 2012: Interannual Variability of Indian Summer Monsoon arising from Interactions between Seasonal Mean and Intraseasonal Oscillations , J. Atmos. Sc., 69, doi: 10.1175/JAS-D-11-0211.1, 1761-1774
113. Urankar G. M., Prabha T.V.,Pandithurai G.,Prabhu P.M., Achuthavarier D., Goswami B.N., 2012: Aerosol and cloud feedbacks on surface energy balance over selected regions of Indian subcontinent, J. Geophys. Res., 117, doi:10.1029/2011JD016363, D04210, 1-16
112. Joseph S., Sahai A.K., Chattopadhyay R., Goswami B.N., 2011: Can El-Nino and Southern Oscillation (ENSO) events modulate intraseasonal oscillations of Indian summer monsoon? , J. Geophys. Res.,116, D20123, doi:10.1029/2010JD015510
111. Manoj M.G., Devara P.C.S., Safai P.D., Goswami B.N. 2011: Absorbing aerosols facilitate transition of Indian monsoon breaks to active spells, Climate Dynamics, 37, December 2011, pp.2181-2198, DOI 10.1007/s00382-010-0971-3.
110. Krishna Kumar K., Kamala K., Rajagopalan B., Hoerling M.P., Eischeid J.K., Patwardhan S.K., Srinivasan G., Goswami B.N., Nemanai R., 2011: The once and future pulse of Indian monsoonal climate, Climate Dynamics, 36, 2011, pp.2159-2170, DOI 10.1007/s00382-010-0974-0.
109. Saha S.K., Halder S., Krishna Kumar K., Goswami B.N. 2011: Pre-onset land surface processes and 'internal' interannual variabilities of the Indian summer monsoon, Climate Dynamics,vol.36, June 2011, 2011-2089, DOI 10.1007/s00382-010-0886-z
108. Goswami B.B., Neena J.M., Mukhopadhyay P., Waliser D.E., Benedict J.J., Maloney E.D., Khairoutdinov M., Goswami B.N., 2011: Monsoon Intraseasonal Oscillations as simulated by the Superparameterized Community Atmosphere Model, J. Geophys. Res., 116, doi:10.1029/2011JD015948
107. Goswami B.N.,Wheeler M.C., Gottschalck J.C. and Waliser D.E., 2011: Intra- seasonal Variability and Forecasting: A Review of Recent Research , The Global Monsoon System: Research and Forecast, 2nd Edition, World Scientific Publication Company in collaboration with WMO, vol. 5, pp.389-407
106. Prabha T.V., Goswami B.N., Murthy B.S., Kulkarni J.R., 2011: Nocturnal low-level jet and 'atmospheric streams' over the rain shadow region of Indian Western Ghats, Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc., 137, pp. 1273-1287, DOI:10.1002/qj.818
105. Prabha T.V., Khain A., Maheshkumar R.S., Pandithurai G., Kulkarni J.R., Konwar M. Goswami B.N., 2011: Microphysics of pre-monsoon and monsoon clouds as seen from in situ measurements during CAIPEEX, J. Atmo. Sci, 68, pp. 1882-1901, doi: 10.1175/2011JAS3707.1
104. Neena J.M., Suhas E., Goswami B.N. 2011: Leading role of internal dynamics in the 2009 Indian Summer Monsoon drought, J. Geophys. Res., 116, D13103, doi:10.1029/2010JD015328
103. Vialard J., Jayakumar A., Gnanaseelan C., Lengaigne M., Sengupta D., Goswami B.N. 2011: Processes of 30-90 days sea surface temperature variability in the northern Indian Ocean during boreal summer, Clim. Dyn., 68, DOI 10.1007/s00382-011-1015-3, 1901-1916
102. Mukhopadhyay, P., S. Taraphdar, Goswami B.N. 2011: Influence of moist processes on track and intensity forecast of cyclones over the North Indian Ocean, J. Geophys. Res., 116, D05116, pp.1-21, doi:10.1029/2010JD014700
101. Mujumdar M., Salunke K., Suryachandra Rao A., Ravichandran M., Goswami B.N. 2011: Diurnal cycle induced amplification of sea surface temperature Intraseasonal oscillations over the Bay of Bengal in summer monsoon season, IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, 29, pp.206-210
100. Joseph S., Sahai A.K., Goswami B.N. 2010: Boreal summer intraseasonal oscillations and seasonal Indian monsoon prediction in DEMETER coupled models, Climate Dynamics, vol.35, pp.651-667
99. Goswami B.N., Kulkarni J.R., Mujumdar V.R., Chattopadhyay 2009: On factors responsible for recent secular trend in the onset phase of monsoon intraseasonal oscillations, International Journal of Climatology, vol. 30, pp.2240-2246, Short Communication, doi:10.1002/joc.2041
98. Suryachandra A. Rao, Chaudhari H.S., Pokhrel S., Goswami B.N. 2010: Unusual central Indian drought of summer monsoon - 2008: Role of Southern Tropical Indian Ocean warming, Journal of Climate,, 23, 5163-5174
97. Taraphdar S., Mukhopadhyay P., Goswami B.N. 2010: Predictability of Indian summer monsoon weather during active and break phases using a high resolution regional model, Geophys. Res. Lett., 37, L21812, 1-6, doi:10.1029/2010GL044969
96. Mukhopadhyay P., Taraphdar S., Goswami B.N., Krishna Kumar K., 2010: Indian summer monsoon precipitation climatology in a high resolution regional climate model: Impact of convective parameterization on systematic biases, Weather and Forecasting, Vol. 25, 369-387, doi:10.1175/2009WAF2222320.1
95. Padma Kumari B., Goswami B.N., 2010: Seminal role of clouds on solar dimming over the Indian monsoon region, Geophy. Res. Lett., 37, L06703, pp.1-5, doi:10.1029/2009GL042133
94. Goswami B.B., Mukhopadhyay P., Mahanta R., Goswami B.N., 2010: Multiscale interaction with Topography and Extreme Rainfall Events in the North-East Indian region, J. Geophys. Res.,Vol. 115, doi:10.1029/2009JD012275, D12114
93. Suhas E., Goswami B.N., 2010: Loss of significance and multidecadal variability of the Madden-Julian oscillation, Journal of Climate, 23, p.3739-3759, doi:10.1175/2010JCLI3180.1
92. Neena J.M., Goswami B.N., 2010: Extension of potential predictability of Indian summer monsoon dry and wet spells in recent decades, Quarterly Journal of Royal Meteorological Society, 136, pp.583-592
91. Chattopadhyay R., Goswami B.N., Sahai A.K., Fraedrich K., 2009: Role of stratiform rainfall in modifying the northward propagation of Monsoon Intraseasonal Oscillation,, J. Geophys. Res.,114, D19114, doi:10.1029/2009JD011869, pp.1-15
90. Joseph S., Sahai A.K.,B N Goswami, 2009 :Eastward propagating MJO during boreal summer and Indian monsoon droughts, Climate Dynamics, 32, DOI 10.1007/s00382-008-0412-8, pp. 1139-1153
89. Mani N.J., Suhas E., Goswami B.N., 2009: Can global warming make Indian monsoon weather less predictable? , Geophysical Research Letters, 36, L08811, pp.1-5, doi:10.1029 /2009GL037989
88. Suhas E., Goswami B.N., 2008: Regime shift in Indian summer monsoon climatological intraseasonal oscillations, Geophysical Research Letters, 35, L20703, pp.1-6, doi:10.1029/2008GL035511
87. Sahai A.K., Chattopadhyay R., Goswami B.N., 2008: SST based large multi-model ensemble forecasting system for Indian summer monsoon rainfall, Geophysical Research Letters, 35, L19705, pp.1-9, doi:10.1029/2008GL035461
86. Chattopadhyay R., Sahai A.K., Goswami B.N., 2008: Objective Identification of Nonlinear Convectively Coupled Phases of Monsoon Intraseasonal Oscillation: Implications for Prediction, J. Atmo. Sci.,65, 1549-1569
85. P. K. Xavier and B N Goswami, 2007 : Analog method for realtime forecasting of summer monsoon subseasonal variability, Mon. Weather Review 135, 4149-4160
84. Xavier P.K., Goswami B. N., 2007:Promising alternative to prediction of seasonal mean all India rainfall, Current Science, 93, 195-202
83. Ajaya Mohan, R. S. and Goswami B. N., 2007: Dependence of simulation of boreal tropical summer intraseasonal oscillaions on simulation of seasonal mean. J. Atmo. Sci. , 64, 460-478
82. P. K. Xavier, C. Marzin and B. N. Goswami, 2007: An objective definition of the Indian summer monsoon season and a new perspective on ENSO-monsoon relationship, Q. J. Meteorol. Soc. 133, 749-764
81. Sengupta D., Senana R., Goswami B.N. and J. Vialard, 2005, Intraseasonal variability of equatorial Indian Ocean zonalcurrents, J. Climate (2007), 20, 3036-3055
80. Goswami B.N., Venugopal V., Sengupta D., Madhusoodanan M.S., Xavier Prince K., 2006: Increasing trend of Extreme Rain Events over India in a Warming Environment, Science, 314, 5804, 1 December, 1442-1445.
78. Suneet Dwivedi, Ashok Kumar Mittal, B. N. Goswami, 2006: An empirical rule for extended range prediction of duration of Indian summer monsoon breaks. Geophys. Res. Lett., 33, L18801, doi:10.1029/2006GL027035.
77. B. N. Goswami, M. S. Madhusoodanan, C. P. Neema, and D. Sengupta, 2006: A physical mechanism for North Atlantic SST influence on the Indian summer monsoon, Geophys. Res. Lett., 33, L02706, doi:10.1029/ 2005GL024803
76. Goswami B. N. and Xavier Prince K., 2005: ENSO control on the South Asian Monsoon through the length of the rainy season Geophys. Res. Lett. 32, L18717, doi:10.1029/2005GL023216.
75. B. N. Goswami and Prince K. Xavier, 2005: Dynamics of 'Internal' Interannual Variability of Indian Summer Monsoon in a GCM J. Geophys. Res., 110, D24104, doi:10.1029/2005JD006042.
74. B. N. Goswami, 2005: South Asian Monsoon: in Intraseasonal Variability of the Atmosphere-Ocean Climate System, Eds. William K. M. Lau and Duane E.Waliser Chapter 2, Praxis, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 19-61 pp.
73. B. N. Goswami, 2005: The Asian monsoon: Interdecadal Variability, in The Asian Monsoon, Eds, Bin Wang, Chapter 7, Praxis, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 295-327 pp.
72. B. N. Goswami, 2004: Interdecadal Change in Potential Predictability of the Indian Summer Monsoon, Geophys. Res. Lett. 31, L16208, doi:10.1029/2004GL020337.
71. Piyali Chatterjee and B. N. Goswami , 2004: Structure, genesis and scale selection of the tropical quasi-biweekly mode, Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 130, 1171-1194.
70. Goswami, B N and Prince K Xavier , 2003: Potential Predictability and Extended Range Prediction of Indian Summer Monsoon Breaks, Geophys. Res. Lett. 30(18), 1966, doi:10.1029/2003GL017,810, 2003.
69. Retish Senan, Debasis Sengupta and B N Goswami, 2003: Intraseasonal 'monsoon jets' in the equatorial Indian Ocean, Geophys. Res. Lett. 30(14), 1750, doi:10.1029/ 2003GL017583, 2003.
68. Goswami, B N, R.S Ajaya Mohan, Prince K Xavier and D. Sengupta, 2003:Clustering of Low Pressure Systems During the Indian Summer Monsoon by Intraseasonal Oscillations, Geophys. Res. Lett. 30 (8), 1431, doi: 10.1029/ 2002GL016734, 2003.
67. Goswami, B N, and E. N. Rajagopal, 2003: Indian Ocean Surface Winds from NCMRWF Analysis as Compared to QuikSCAT and Moored Buoy Winds, Proc. Indian. Acad. Sci. (Earth & Planetary Sci.), 112, No. 1, March 2003, pp. 61-77
66. Goswami, B N, and D. Sengupta, 2003:, J. Geophys. Res. 108(C4), 3124, doi:10.1029/2002JC001497, 2003.
65. Ajaya Mohan R S and B N Goswami, 2003: Potential Predictability of the Asian Summer Monsoon on Monthly and Seasonal Time Scales Meteor. Atmos. Phys. DOI 10.1007/s00703-002-0576-4.
64. Goswami B N and Ajaya Mohan R S, 2001: Intra-seasonal oscillations and inter-annual variability of the Indian summer monsoon, J. Climate, 14, 1180-1198. [download pdf file]
63. Goswami B N and Jayavelu V, 2001: On possible impact of the Indian summer monsoon on the ENSO, Geophys. Res. Letts, 28, 571-574. [download pdf file]
62. Goswami B N and Manu Anna Thomas, 2001: Decadal variations of Hadley and Walker Circulations in the tropics, Mausam (special issue on Global and Regional Climate Change), 52, 23-36.
61. Goswami B N and Ajaya Mohan R S, 2001: Intra-seasonal oscillations and Predictability of the Indian summer monsoon, Proc. Ind. Natl. Sci. Aca., 67A(3), 369-383.
60. Goswami B N and Ajaya Mohan R S, 2001: Estimate of monthly mean predictability in the tropics form observations, Curr. Sci, 80, 56-63.
59. Sengupta, D., Senan R. and Goswami B. N., 2001: Origin of intraseasonal variability of circulation in the tropical central Indian Ocean,Geophys. Res. Letts. 28, 1267-1270.
58. Sengupta, D., Goswami B. N. and Senan, R 2001: Coherent intraseasonal oscillations of ocean and atmosphere during the Asian summer monsoon, Geophys. Res. Letts.28, 4127-4131.
57. Goswami B. N. and Manu Anna Thomas 2000: Walker circulation associated with interdecadal and interannual variability in the tropics, J. Meteorol. Soc. Japan.78, 765-775.
56. Krishnamurthy V and Goswami B. N. 2000: Indian monsoon-ENSO relationship on inter decadal time scales, J. Climate, 13, 579-595.
55. Goswami B. N. , 2000: Comments on 'Choice of South Asian Summer Monsoon Indices', Bull. Amer. Meteorol. Soc., 81, 821-822.
54. Goswami B. N. and Ajaya Mohan R S, 2000: A common spatial mode for intra-seasonal and inter-annual variation and predictability of the Indian summer monsoon, Curr. Sci, 79, 1106-1111.
53. Goswami B. N. and Manu Anna Thomas, 2000: Coupled Ocean-atmosphere inter-decadal modes in the tropics, J. Met. Soc. Japan, 78, 765-775.
52. Goswami B. N., Annamalai H and Krishnamurthy , 1999:A broad scale circulation index for interannual variability of the Indian summer monsoon, Q. J. Roy. Met. Soc., 125, 611-633.
51. Saji N H, Goswami B. N., Vinayachandran P N and Yamagata T 1999: A dipole mode in the tropical Indian Ocean, Nature. 401, 360-363. [download pdf file]
50. Goswami B. N. 1998: Interannual variation of Indian summer monsoon in a GCM: External conditions versus internal feedbacks, J. Climate, 11, 501-522.
49. Goswami B. N. 1998: Physics of ENSO-Monsoon connection, Ind. J. Marine Sci., 27, 82-89.
48. Goswami B. N., Sengupta D and Suresh Kumar 1998: Intraseasonal oscillaions and interannual variability of surface winds over the Indian monsoon region, Proc. Ind. Aca. Sci. (Earth and Planetary Sci.), 107, 45-64.
47. Goswami B. N., Rajendran K and Sengupta D 1997: Source of seasonality and scale dependence of predictability in a coupled ocean-atmosphere model, Mon. Wea. Rev., 125, 846-858.
46. Saji N. H. and Goswami B. N. 1997: An intercomparison of the seasonal cycle of tropical surface stress simulated by 17 AMIP GCMs, Climate Dynamics, 13, 561-585.
45. Goswami B. N. 1997: Chaos and predictability of the Indian summer monsoon, Pramana - J. Physics, 48, 719-736.
44. Goswami B. N. 1996: The challenge of weather prediction: what makes it difficult; Part II: The conceptual and technical difficulties, RESONANCE, Ind. Acad. Sci., Bangalore, Jan. 1997.
43. Goswami B. N. 1996: The challenge of weather prediction: what makes it difficult; Part III: Old and new ways of weather prediction, RESONANCE, Ind. Acad. Sci., Bangalore, March 1997.
42. Goswami B. N. and Annamalai H. 1996: Origin of a trend in ECMWF wind analysis and its objective removal: Importance in interannual variability studies, Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci. (Earth & Planetary Sci.), 105, 101-117.
41. Chandrasekar A. and Goswami B. N. 1996: Feedback between convective heating and dynamics and movements of tropical cyclones,Meteorol. Atmos. Phys., 61, 55-64.
40. Saji N. H. and Goswami B. N. 1996: An improved linear model of tropical surface wind variability, Q. J. Roy. Meteorol. Soc., 122, 23-53.
39. Chandrasekar A. and Goswami B. N. 1996: A linear model study of the mid tropospheric ridge and its displacement, Mausam, 47, 369-376.
38. Goswami P. and Goswami B. N. 1996: Reply to "Comments on modification of n=0 equatorial waves due to interaction between convection and dynamics" by Smith and Srinivasan, J. Atmos. Sci.,53, 919-922.
37. Goswami B. N. 1996: The challenge of weather prediction: what makes it difficult; Part I: Basic driving, RESONANCE, Ind. Acad. Sci., Bangalore, Nov. 1996.
36. Goswami B. N. 1995: Modelling and predictability studies of the tropical coupled ocean-atmosphere system, J. Ind. Inst. Sci., (Special Issue of Fluid Mechanics Research), 75, 403-430.
35. Anantharaman A., Goswami B. N. and Chandrasekar A. 1995: Lyapunov exponent and predictability of the tropical coupled ocean-atmosphere system, Current Science, 68, 946-950.
34. Biswas M., Goswami B. N. and Chandrasekar A. 1995: Bispectra of a tropical coupled ocean-atmosphere system, Current Science, 68, 1236-1243.
33. Goswami B. N., Krishnamurthy V. and Saji N. H. 1995: Simulation of ENSO related surface winds in the tropics by an AGCM forced by observed SST. Mon. Wea. Rev., 123, 1677-1694.
32. Goswami B. N. 1995: A multiscale interaction model for the origin of the tropospheric QBO. J. Climate, 8, 529-539.
31. Goswami B. N. 1994: Dynamical predictability of seasonal mean monsoon rainfall: Problems and Prospects, Proc. Ind. Natl. Sci. Aca. Part A, 60, 101-120.
30. Goswami B. N., Sudha Selvarajan and Krishnamurthy V 1993: Mechanisms of variability and predictability of the tropical ocean-atmosphere system. Proc. Ind. Academy Sci. (Earth & Planet. Sci.), 102, 49-72.
29. Krishnamurthy V., Goswami B. N. and Legnani R 1993: A conceptual model for the aperiodicity of Interannual variability in the tropics, Geophys. Res. Letts. 20, 435-438.
28. Goswami B. N. and Shukla J. 1993: Aperiodic variability in the Cane-Zebiak model: A diagnostic study. J. Climate, 6, 628-638
27. Goswami B. N. and Goswami P. 1992: Mechanisms of some tropical intraseasonal oscillations, Geophys. Res. Letts., 19, 681-684.
26. Selvarajan Sudha and Goswami B. N.
1992: On the stability of a coupled ocean atmosphere system in the
presence of wave-CISK, Proc. Indian Aca. Sci. (Earth &
Planetary Sci.), 101, 153-176
25. Goswami B. N. and Selvarajan Sudha 1991: Convergence feedback and unstable low frequency oscillations in a simple coupled ocean-atmosphere model, Geophys. Res. Lett., 18, 991-994.
24. Goswami P. and Goswami B. N. 1991: Modification of n = 0 equatorial waves due to interaction between convection and dynamics, J. Atmos. Sci., 48, 2231-2244.
23. Selvarajan Sudha, Goswami B. N. and Sankar Rao M. 1991: Regional and seasonal dependence of the stability of a tropical coupled ocean-atmosphere system. Atmospheric Research, 26, 425-444.
22. Goswami B.N. and Shukla, J. 1991: Predictability and variability of a coupled ocean atmosphere model, J. Marine Systems, 1, 217-228.
21. Goswami B.N. and Shukla, J. 1991: Predictability of a coupled ocean atmosphere model, J. Climate, 4, 3-22.
20. Goswami, B.N. 1988: Potential marine deck sampling problems over monsoonal oceans, Trop. Ocean-Atmos. Newsletter Jan. issue (pp 2-4).
19. Rao Kusuma, G. and Goswami B.N. 1988: Interannual variations of SST over the Arabian Sea and the Indian monsoon: A new perspective, Mon. Wea. Rev., 116, 558-568.
18. Goswami B.N. 1987: A mechanism for the West Northwest movement of the monsoon depressions, Nature, 326, 376-370.
17. Goswami B. N. 1985: The sensitivity of the NH summer mean meridional circulation to changes in the large scale eddy forcing. Proc. Indian Academy of Sciences (Earth and Planet. Sci.), 94, 219-235.
16. Goswami, B.N., J. Shukla, E.K. Schneider and Y. Sud 1984: Study of the dynamics of the Inter-tropical convergence zone with a symmetric version of the GLAS Climatic Model, J. Atmos. Sci., 41, 5-19.
15. Goswami, B.N. and J. Shukla, 1984: Quasi-periodic oscillations in a symmetric general circulation model, J. Atmos. Sci., 41, 20-37.
14. Goswami, B.N. 1983: Theoretical study of multiple equilibria in simple axisymmetric tropical circulations, Tellus, 35A, 119-1335.
13. Jain, R.K. and Goswami, B.N. V. Satyan, and R.N. Keshavamurty, 1981: Envelope soliton solution for Finite Amplitude Equatorial Waves, Proc. Indian Academy of Sciences (Earth and Planet. Sci.), 90, 305-326.
12. Satyan, V., Keshavamurty, R.N., Goswami, B.N., Dash, S.K. and H.S. Sinha, 1980: Monsoon Cyclogenesis and Large Scale Flow Patterns over South Asia, Proc. Indian Academy of Sciences (Earth and Planet. Sci.), 89, 277-292.
11. Goswami, B.N., R.N. Keshavamurty, and V. Satyan, 1980: Role of Barotropic-Baroclinic Instability on the Growth of Monsoon Depressions and Mid-tropospheric cyclones, Proc. Indian Academy of Sciences (Earth Planet. Sci.), 89, 79-97.
10. Keshavamurty, R.N., Satyan, V., and Goswami, B.N. 1978: Indian Summer Monsoon cyclogenesis and its variability, Nature, 274, 576-578.
9. Goswami, B.N. and Sinha, Mukul, 1978: Effect of Cold Electron in the Linear and Nonlinear Ion Acoustic Waves, Plasma Phys., 20, 91-93.
8. Goswami, B.N., Satya, Y.S. and Kulkarni, V.H., 1977: Drift dissipative instability in a two temperature plasma, Pramana,9, 171-178.
7. Sinha, Mukul and Goswami, B.N. 1977: Magnetosonic wave in the presence of a lower hybrid turbulence and plasma heating, Phys. Fluids, 20, 2145.
6. Satya Y.S. and Goswami, B.N. 1977: Ion Acoustic Solitary Waves in the presence of a high frequency electric field, Phys. Lett., 61A, 388-390.
5. Goswami, B.N. and Buti, B., 1977: Finite Amplitude Drift Waves in a Collisional Plasma, Plasma Phys., 19, 53-61.
4. Goswami, B.N. and Sinha Mukul, 1976: Ion Acoustic Solitary Waves in Inhomogeneous Media with Temperature Inhomogeneity, Pramana, 7, 141-145.
3. Goswami, B.N. and Buti, B., 1976: Ion Acoustic Solitary Waves in a two-electron temperature plasma, Phys. Lett.,57A, 149-150.
2. Goswami, B.N. and Buti B., 1975: Cross-field current driven electrostatic instability in plasma with generalized distribution function, Nucl. Fusion, 15, 991-997.
1. Goswami, B.N., Lakhina, G.S., and Buti, B. 1974: Return-current instability and its effects on Beam-Plasma System, Pramana,3, 10-27.