Generalized Daily Operation Routine
The daily routine is controlled, guided and monitored by the Operation Director, who
is the senior scientists from the IITM / participating institutions. Summary of the
daily operations is as follows.
Flight strategies overview
- Operations start up with early monitoring of forecasting charts, soundings, overnight
radar pictures, etc.
- Daily briefing including forecast, equipment status, scientific strategy for the day's
operations, debrief on key issues of previous day operations, weekly recap on overall
progress toward observational goals or quotas, etc.
- Expected sequence: 8.30 a.m. weather briefing, past operation's de-briefing equipment
status, strategy for current day.
- Declaration of start or stop the operation: Operation Director, is deciding the operation,
taking in to consideration the forecast information, equipment status, crew status and
- Designating a down day's to be done ~ 24 hours or more in advance, based upon
forecast information, overall needs of the project, overall personnel needs for rest time.
- Providing documentation of daily key functions for archival :
Forecaster to provide forecast materials for digital archive; Operation Director will
supervise the maintenance of routine logs;
- Flight scientists is maintaining flight logs.
Flight operations are undertaken
to accomplish a range of observation needs including:
- Instrumentation tests and Intercomparison.
- Ambient aerosol research survey flights
- Cloud and aerosol research flights
Instrument Flight Tests:
Instrument tests are carried out regularly