Center for Advanced training (CAT) on radar meteorology since CAT inception
Guidance to Students:
M.Tech & M.Sc projects
2006 – Life member of Indian Meteorological Society
2010 – Life member of Indian Aerosol Science and Technology Association
27. Sukanya P., Kalapureddy M.C.R., Cloud microphysical profile differences pertinent to monsoon phases: inferences from a cloud radar, Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics, online, March 2019, DOI:10.1007/s00703-019-00666-9, 1-16 (Published online)
26. Jha Ambuj K., Kalapureddy M.C.R., Devisetty H.K., Deshpande S.M., Pandithurai G., Case study on large-scale dynamical influence on bright band using cloud radar during the Indian summer monsoon, Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics, 131, June 2019, DOI:10.1007/s00703-018-0583-8, 505-515
25. Chakravarty K., Pokhrel S., Kalshetti M., Nair Anish K.M., Kalapureddy M.C.R., Deshpande S.M., Das Subrata Kumar, Pandithurai G., Goswami B.N., Unraveling of cloud types during phases of monsoon intraseasonal oscillations by a Ka-band Doppler weather radar, Atmospheric Science Letters, 19:e847, September 2018, DOI:10.1002/asl.847, 1-7
24. Kalapureddy M.C.R., Sukanya P., Das Subrata K., Deshpande S.M., Pandithurai G., Pazamany A. L., Jha Ambuj K., Chakravarty K., Kalekar P., Devisetty H. K., Annam S., Simple biota removal algorithm for 35 GHz cloud radar measurements, Atmospheric Measurement Techniques, 11, March 2018, DOI:10.5194/amt-11-1417-2018, 1417-1436
23.Kalapureddy M.C.R., Deshpande S., Anand A., Das S.K., Chakravarty K., Sonbawne S.M., Maheskumar R.S., Dani K.K., Raj P.E., Investigation of tropical Indian precipitating cloud systems using a Mobile X-band Scanning Polarimetric Radar: Initial Results, Journal of Neutral Atmosphere, 1, January 2018, 59-81
22. Deshpande S.M., Dhangar N., Das Subroto Kumar, Kalapureddy M.C.R., Chakravarty K., Sonbawne S., Konwar M., Mesoscale kinematics derived from X-band Doppler radar observations of convective versus stratiform precipitation and comparison with GPS radiosonde profiles, Journal of Geophysical Research, 120, November 2015, DOI:10.1002/2014JD022595, 11536–11551
21. Das Subrata Kumar, Deshpande S.M., Das S.S., Konwar M., Chakravarty K., Kalapureddy M.C.R., Temporal and structural evolution of a tropical monsoon cloud system: A case study using X-band radar observations, Journal of Atmospheric and Solar Terrestrial Physics, 133, October 2015, DOI:10.1016/j.jastp.2015.08.009, 157–168
20. Ruchith R.D., Raj P.E., Kalapureddy M.C.R., Dharmaraj T., Role of surface and boundary layer processes in the temporal evolution of Monsoon Low Level Jet (MLLJ) observed from high resolution Doppler wind lidar measurements, Journal of Atmospheric and Solar Terrestrial Physics, 121, December 2014, DOI:10.1016/j.jastp.2014.09.016,1-9
19. Ruchith R.D., Kalapureddy M.C.R., Deshpande S., Dani K.K., Raj P.E., Inter-comparison of wind profiles in the tropical boundary layer remotely sensed from GPS radiosonde and Doppler wind lidar, International Journal of Remote Sensing, 35, April 2014, DOI:10.1080/01431161.2014.902552, 3300-3315
18. Ruchith R. D., Raj P. E., Kalapureddy M. C. R., Deshpande S. M., Dani K. K., Time evolution of monsoon low-level jet observed over an Indian tropical station during the peak monsoon period from high-resolution Doppler wind lidar measurements, Journal of Geophysical Research, 119, February 2014, DOI:10.1002/2013JD020752, 1786-1795
17. Kumar Das, S., K.N. Uma, M. Konwar, P. Ernest Raj, S.M. Deshpande, M.C.R. Kalapureddy, CloudSat–CALIPSO characterizations of cloud during the active and the break periods of Indian summer monsoon. Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics, 97, 106-114, (2013).
16. H.D. Kambezidis, D.G. Kaskaoutis, Shailesh Kumar Kharol, K. Krishna Moorthy, S.K. Satheesh, M.C.R. Kalapureddy, K.V.S. Badarinath, Anu Rani Sharma, M. Wild, Multi-decadal variation of the net downward shortwave radiation over south Asia: the solar dimming effect, Atmospheric Environment, 50,360-372, 2012, ISSN 1352-2310, 10.1016/j.atmosenv.2011.11.008.
Exploring the decadal variation of solar radiation in conjunction to aerosol and cloud cover over south Asia.
15. Murthy,B.S., R. Latha, P. Sreeja, M.C.R. Kalapureddy, T. Dharmaraj, and R.T. Waghmare, Pre-monsoon / monsoon thunderstorm characteristics over Pune-An investigation using Doppler Sodar observations, Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics (2011),doi:10.1016/j.jastp.2011.07.012.
Exploring the potential of Doppler sodar observed lower boundary layer features in inferring the tropical thunderstorm characteristics.
14. P. Ernest Raj, M.C.R. Kalapureddy, Y. Jaya Rao, S.M. Sonbawne, K.K. Dani and P.C.S. Devara, Lidar remote sensing of the mixed layer height over a tropical urban Indian station, International Journal of Remote Sensing, 2010.
Exploring the small scale (turbulence) fluctuations associated with nocturnal boundary layer using Lidar backscatter.
13. D. G. Kaskaoutis, M. C. R. Kalapureddy, K. Krishna Moorthy, P. C. S. Devara, P. T. Nastos, P. G. Kosmopoulos, and H. D. Kambezidis, Heterogeneity in pre-monsoon aerosol type over the Arabian Sea deduced from shipboard measurements of spectral AODs, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 10, 4893-4908, doi: 10.5194/acp-10-4893-2010, 2010. www.atmos-chem-phys.net/10/4893/2010/
Rigorous analysis on spectral AOD features in order to understand the uncertainties and errors in the end used products.
12. Kalapureddy, M. C. R., M. Lothon, B. Campistron,F. Lohou, F. Saïd, Wind profiler analysis of the African Easterly Jet in relation with the Boundary-layer and the Saharan Heat Low, Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society,136(s1),77-91, 2010, doi:10.1002/qj.494.
Explored the role of various lower troposphere dynamical parameters’ vital linkage to West African Monsoon system using wind profiler data.
11. Kalapureddy,M.C.R., and P.C.S. Devara, Pre-monsoon aerosol optical properties and spatial distribution over the Arabian Sea during 2006, Atmos. Res., 95, 186-196, 2010, doi:10.1016/j.atmosres.2009.09.014.
Pre-monsoon Aerosol properties over Arabian Sea show significant difference due to the predominant thermodynamic conditions pertaining to the regions around AS.
10. Kalapureddy, M. C. R., D. G. Kaskaoutis, P. E. Raj, P.C.S. Devara, H. D. Kambezidis, P. G. Kosmopoulos, and P. T. Nastos, Identification of aerosol type over the Arabian Sea in the pre-monsoon season during the ICARB campaign, J. Geophys. Res., 114, D17203, doi:10.1029/2009JD011826, 2009.
Pre-monsoon columnar AOD and α distribution over Arabian Sea is utilized to identify aerosol types over various parts of AS.
9. D. G. Kaskaoutis, M. C. R. Kalapureddy, P. C. S. Devara, P. G. Kosmopoulos, P. T. Nastos, K. Krishna Moorthy and H. D. Kambezidis, Spatio-temporal aerosol optical characteristics over the Arabian Sea during the pre monsoon season, Atmos. Chem. Phys. Discuss., 9, 22223-22269, 2009.(this paper has modified significantly after review and appeared in ACP; see 2)
Rigorous analysis on spectral AOD features helped in understanding the uncertainties and errors in the end-used-products.
8. Sanjay Sharma, Mahen Konwar, Diganta Kumar Sarma, M.C.R. Kalapureddy, A.R. Jain, Characteristics of rain integral parameters during tropical convective, transition and stratiform rain at Gadanki and its application in rain retrieval, Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, 48,1245-1266, 2009.
Tropical precipitation systems are characterized using versatile Rain parameter, rain drop size distribution in conjunction with radar parameters and explored their classification.
The initial result from state-of-art Micro-pulse Lidar system show some promise in understanding the Nocturnal boundary layer structures.
6. Kalapureddy, M.C.R., Ernest Raj, P. and Devara, P.C.S., Total columnar ozone variations over oceanic region around Indian sub-continent during pre-monsoon of 2006 , Atmos. Chem. Phys. Discuss., 8, 3143–3162, 2008. www.atmos-chem-phys-discuss.net/8/3143/2008/
Pre-monsoon column ozone distribution over Bay of Bengal, Indian Ocean and Arabian Sea shows significant difference over east and west cost and adjoining oceans. This is attributed to air pollution and dynamics associated to the region and period.
5. Kalapureddy, M.C.R., and Devara, P.C.S., Characterization of aerosols over oceanic regions around India during pre-monsoon 2006, Atmospheric Environment,42, 6816-6827 ,2008, doi: 10.1016/j.atmosenv.2008.05.022.
Pre-monsoon Aerosol features over Bay of Bengal, Indian Ocean and Arabian Sea shows significant difference due to the predominant thermodynamic conditions pertain to those regions.
4. Kalapureddy, M.C.R., Rao, D.N., Jain A.R. and Ohno, Y., Wind profiler observations of a monsoon low-level jet over a tropical Indian station, Ann. Geophys., 25, 2125–2137, 2007 (www.ann-geophys.net/25/2125/2007/).
High-resolution LLJ Diurnal features and LLJ impact on local tropical boundary layer are highlighted in this report.
3. Panuganti Devara, Pulidindi Ernest Raj, Yedla Jaya Rao, Govindan Pandithurai, Kundan Dani, Kalapureddy Madhu Chandra Reddy, Sanjoy Kumar Saha, and Sunil Sonbawne, Optical remote sensing contributes to earth-atmosphere radiation research, SPIE news letter —The International Society for Optical Engineering, 2007.
This letter reveals the potential of our optical remote sensing in the field of atmospheric radiation research.
2. Kalapureddy, M.C.R., Kishore, K.K., Sivakumar, V., Ghosh, A.K. and Jain, A.R., Diurnal and seasonal variability of TKE dissipation rate in the ABL over a tropical station, Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics, 2006, doi:10.1016/j.jastp.2006.10.016.
This paper reports first time on high-resolution Diurnal features of tropical boundary layer dynamical parameters pertain to various seasons.
1. Krishna Reddy. K., Toshiaki Kozu, Yuicho Ohno, Kenji Nakamura, Atsushi Higuchi, K. Madhu Chandra Reddy, V.K.Anandan, P.Srinivasulu, A.R.Jain, P.B.Rao, R.Ranga Rao, G.Viswanathan and D.Narayana Rao: ‘Planetary boundary layer and precipitation studies Using Lower Atmospheric wind profiler over tropical India’, Radio Science,Vol.37, NO.4, 10.1029/2000RS002538, 2002.
This work revels the capability of Lower atmospheric radar system for making both ABL and precipitation studies.