Flight scientist during Cloud Aerosol Interaction and Precipitation Enhancement Experiment (CAIPEEX) conducted from 2009 to 2019 in India.
Took lead in setting up a rain measuring network (High density Automatic Rain Gaugees, Disdrometer and Micro Rain Radar) in Solapur, Maharashtra, India.
Member of the local organizing committee of the International Commission of Clouds and Precipitation (ICCP) conference conducted at IITM Pune on 2-6 August 2021
Aircraft data collection and documentation
Technical guidance to state government for cloud seeding.
Elected member of International Commission for Clouds and Precipitation (ICCP) -2021
Life member of Indian Meteorological Society
Honours / Awards:
The paper is the top Cited Article 2020-2021: “A diagnostic study of cloud physics and lightning flash rates in a severe pre-monsoon thunderstorm over northeast India” by Choudhury, B. A., M. Konwar, A. Hazra, G. M. Mohan, P. Pithani, S. D. Ghude, A. Deshamukhya and M. C. Barth (2020) Quarterly Journal of Royal Meteorological Society, DOI:10.1002/qj.3773, 1-22, Feb. 2020.
The research paper entitled "Rapid Drying of Northeast India in the Last Three Decades: Climate Change or Natural Variability?" published in Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, in 2019 is among the top 10% most downloaded papers duringJanuary 2018 and December 2019.
Remote Sensing Applications: Society and Environment
Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Advances in Atmospheric Sciences
Advances in Meteorology
IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium
International Journal of Climatology
Journal of Applied Remote Sensing
Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences
Journal of Geophysical Research - Atmosphere
Theoretical and Applied Climatology
Journals (Peer-reviewed) :
48. Konwar, M., Raut B. A., Rao Y. J., Prabhakaran, T. (2022) Rain microphysical properties over the rain shadow region of India, Atmospheric Research, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosres.2022.106224
47. Gayatri, K., Sandeep, J., Murugavel, P., Chowdhuri, S., Konwar, M., Dinesh, G., Todekar, K., Bankar, S., Dixit, S. A., Malap, N. and Prabhakaran, T. (2022) Evaluation of high-resolution WRF model forecasts and their use for cloud seeding decisions. 2022, Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics, 105825, ISSN 1364-6826, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jastp.2022.105825.
46. Mallick, C., Hazra, A., Saha, S. K., Chaudhari, H. S., Pokhrel, S., Konwar, M., Dutta U., Mohan, G. M. and Vani K. G. (2022). Seasonal predictability of lightning over the global hotspot regions. Geophysical Research Letters, 49, e2021GL096489. https://doi.org/10.1029/2021GL096489
45. Mudiar, D., Hazra, A., Pawar, S. D.,Karumuri, R. K., Konwar, M., Mukherjee, S., Srivastava, M. K., Goswami, B. N., and Williams E. (2022). Role of electrical effects in intensifying rainfall rates in the tropics. Geophysical Research Letters, 49, e2021GL096276. https://doi.org/10.1029/2021GL096276
44.Jayachandran, V. , Bera S., Bankar S. P. , Malap N., Varghese M., Safai P.D. , Konwar M., Todekar K. S., Rao Y. J., Murugavel P. , Prabha T. V., (2021). Hygroscopic growth and CCN activation of aerosols during Indian Summer Monsoon over a rain-shadow region, Atmospheric Research, 105976,ISSN 0169-8095,https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosres.2021.105976.
43.Raut B.A., Konwar M., Murugavel P., Kadge D., Gurnule D., Sayyed I., Todekar K., Malap N., Bankar S., Prabhakaran Thara, Microphysical origin of raindrop size distributions during the Indian monsoon, Geophysical Research Letters, 48: e2021GL093581, August 2021, DOI:10.1029/2021GL093581, 1-12
42.Varghese, M., J. Jose, A.S. Anu, M. Konwar, P. Murugavel, N. Kalarikkal, M. Deshpande, T. V. Prabha (2021), Vertical profile of aerosol characteristics including activation over a rain shadow region in India, Atmospheric Environment, 262, 118653,https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2021.118653
41.Konwar, M. , Thara Prabhakaran, Alexander Khain and Mark Pinsky (2021), Cloud microphysical structure analysis based on high-resolution insitu measurements, Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 78, no. 7., https://doi.org/10.1175/JAS-D-20-0229.1
40.Varghese M. J. Jose, A. S. Anu, P. Murugavel, E. A. Resmi, S. Bera, S. Thomas, M. Konwar, N. Kalarikkal, T. V. Prabha (2021), Cloud and aerosol characteristics during dry and wet days of southwest monsoon over the rain shadow region of Western Ghats, India, Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00703-021-00811-3
39. Mohan K. Greeshma M., G. Vani, A. Hazra, C. Mallick, H. Chaudhari, S. Pokhrel,S. D. Pawar, M. Konwar, S. K.Saha, S.K.Das, S. Deshpande,S. Ghude, M. C. Barth, S. A. Rao, R.S.Nanjundiah, M. Rajeevan (2021), Evaluating different lightning parameterization schemes to simulate lightning flash counts over Maharashtra, India, Atmospheric Research 255, 105532, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosres.2021.105532.
38. Saha, S. K., M. Konwar, S. Pokhrel, A. Hazra, H. Chaudhury and A. Rai (2021), Inter-play between Sub-seasonal Rainfall and Global Predictors in Modulating Interannual to Multi-decadal Predictability of the ISMR, Geophysical Research Letters, Volume 48, Issue 1, e2020GL091458, https://doi.org/10.1029/2020GL091458, 11 Dec. 2020.
37. Varghese, M., P. P. Leena, P. Murugavel, S. Bankar, K. Todekar, S. Chowdhuri, T. V. Prabha, P. D. Safai, N. Malap, M. Konwar, S. Dixit and Y. Jayarao (2020), New Particle Formation Observed from a Rain Shadow Region of the Western Ghats, India , Toxicological & Environmental Chemistry, https://doi.org/10.1080/02772248.2020.1789134
36. Jayachandran V. N., M. Varghese, P. Murugavel, K. S. Todekar, S. P. Bankar, N. Malap, G. Dinesh, P. D. Safai, J. Rao, M. Konwar, S. Dixit, and T. V. Prabha (2020), Cloud condensation nuclei characteristics during the Indian summer monsoon over a rain-shadow region, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 20, 7307–7334,. https://doi.org/10.5194/acp-20-7307-2020
35. Raut, B. A., V. Louf, K. Gayatri, P. Murugavel, M. Konwar and T. Prabhakaran (2020),A Multi-resolution Technique for Classification of Precipitation Echoes in Radar Data, IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON GEOSCIENCE AND REMOTE SENSING, ISSN: 0196-2892,Online ISSN: 1558-0644, DOI: 10.1109/TGRS.2020.2965649.
34. Choudhury, B. A., M. Konwar*, A. Hazra, G. M. Mohan, P. Pithani, S. D. Ghude, A. Deshamukhya and M. C. Barth (2020) A diagnostic study of cloud physics and lightning flash rates in a severe pre-monsoon thunderstorm over NE India, Quarterly Journal of Royal Meteorological Society, DOI:10.1002/qj.3773, 1-22, Feb. 2020. (Ph D Student paper)
33. Kulkarni, R., R. K. Jenamani, P. Pithani, M. Konwar, N. Nigam, S. D. Ghude, Loss to Aviation Economy due to Winter Fog in New Delhi during Winter 2010-2016, (2019), Atmosphere , 10:198, April 2019, DOI:10.3390/atmos10040198, 1-10.
32. Choudhury B. A., S. K. Saha, M. Konwar, K. Sujith and Atri Deshmukhya Rapid Drying of Northeast India in the Last Three decades: Climate Change or Natural Variability ?, (2019) Journal of Geophysical Research:Atmospheres,124, 227–237, https://doi.org/10.1029/2018JD029625(Ph D student paper)
31. Pithani, P., S. D. Ghude, T. Prabhakaran, A. Karipot, A. Hazra, R. Kulkarni, S. Chowdhuri, E. A. Resmi, M. Konwar, P. Murugavel, P. D. Safai, D. M. Chate, Y. Tiwari, R. K. Jenamani and M. Rajeevan (2019), WRF model sensitivity to choice of PBL and microphysics parameterization for an advection fog event at Barkachha, rural site in the Indo-Gangetic basin, India, Theoretical and Applied Climatology, 136, pages 1099–1113. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00704-018-2530-5.
30. Bera S., Prabha T.V., Malap N., Patade S., Konwar M., Murugavel P., Axisa D. (2018), Thermodynamics and Microphysics Relation During CAIPEEX-I , Pure and Applied Geophysics, online, July 2018, DOI:10.1007/s00024-018-1942-6, 1-18 .
29. Mudiar, D., S. D. Pawar, A. Hazra, M. Konwar, V. Gopalakrishnan, M. K. Srivastava and B. N. Goswami (2018), Quantification of observed electrical effect on raindrop size distribution in tropical clouds,Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmosphere, Volume 123, Issue 9, p. 4527-4544, https://doi.org/10.1029/2017JD028205.
28. Maheskumar, R. S., B. Padmakumari, M. Konwar, S. B. Morwal, C. G. Deshpande (2018), Characterization of hydrometeors and precipitation over the Indian monsoon region using aircraft measurements, Atmospheric Research, 205, DOI:10.1016/j.atmosres.2018.02.012, 147-154.
27. Pokhrel, S., A. Hazra, S. K. Saha, H. S. Chaudhari, A. Metya, S. D. Ghude and M. Konwar (2018), Contrast in Monsoon Precipitation over Oceanic region of North Bay of Bengal and East Equatorial Indian Ocean, International Journal of Climatology, DOI: 10.1002/joc.5433.
26. Konwar M., Philip Laven and T. V. Prabha (2017), Simultaneous observation of a glory and in-situ microphysical cloud properties, Applied Optics, Vol. 56, No. 19/ July 1, https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.56.0000G5.
25. Ghude, S. D., G. S. Bhat, T. Prabhakaran, R. K. Jenamani, D. Chate, P. D. Safai, A. K. Karipot, M. Konwar, P. Pithani, V. Sinha, P.S.P. Rao, S.A. Dixit, S. Tiwari, K. Todekar, S. Varpe, A. K. Srivastava, D. S. Bisht, P. Murugavel, K. Ali, U. Mina, M. Dharua, J. Rao, B. Padmakumari, A. Hazra, N. Nigam, U. Shende, B.P. Chandra,A. K. Mishra, A. Kumar, H. Hakkim, H. Pawar, P. Acharga, R. Kulkarni, C. Subharthi, Balaji B., M. Varghese, S. Bera, M. Rajeevan (2017) Winter Fog Experiment (WIFEX) over Indo-Gangetic Region of India: overview and preliminary results, Current Science, 112 (04) , DjVu.
24. Das S. K., M. Konwar, K. Chakravarty and S. M. Deshpande (2017), Raindrop size distribution of different cloud types over the Western Ghats using simultaneous measurements from Micro-Rain Radar and Disdrometer, Atmospheric Research, ,Volume 186, 1 April 2017, Pages 72-82, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosres.2016.11.003.
23. Deshpande, S. M., N. Dhangar , S. K. Das , M. C. R. Kalapureddy , K. Chakravarty , S. M. Sonbawne , M. Konwar (2015), Mesoscale kinematics derived from X-band Doppler radar observations of convective versus stratiform precipitation and comparison with GPS radiosonde profiles, Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmosphere, DOI:10.1002/2014JD022595, 2015.
22. S. K. Das, S. M. Deshpande, S. S. Das, M. Konwar, K. Chakravarty and M. C. R. Kallapureddy (2015), Temporal and structural evolution of a tropical monsoon cloud system: A case study usingX-band Radar, Journal of Atmospheric and Solar Terrestrial Physics,doi:10.1016/j.jastp.2015.08.009,
21. Konwar M., A. S. Panicker, D. Axisa and T. V. Prabha (2015), Near cloud aerosols in monsoon environment and its impact on radiative forcing, Journal of Geophysical Research- Atmosphere, DOI: 10.1002/2014JD022420,
20. Panicker, A. S., G. Pandithurai, P. D. Safai, S. Dipu, T. V. Prabha, M. Konwar (2014) Observations of Black carbon Induced Semi direct effect over Northeast India, Atmospheric Environment, doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2014.09.034.
19.M. Konwar, S. K. Das, S. M. Deshpande, K. Chakravarty and B. N. Goswami (2014) Microphysics of clouds and rain over the Western Ghat,, Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmosphere, DOI: 10.1002/2014JD021606.
18. Das, S. K., K. N. Uma, M. Konwar , P. E. Raj, S. M. Deshpande and K. M. C. Kalapureddy (2013), CloudSat-Calip characterizations of cloud during the active and break periods of Indian Summer Monsoon, Journal of Atmospheric and Solar Terrestrial Physics, 97, DOI:10.1016/j.jastp.2013.02.016, 106-114.
17.M. Konwar, RS Maheshkumar, S. K. Das and S. B. Morwal (2012), Nature of light rain during presence and absence of bright band, J. Earth Syst. Sci., 121, No. 4, pp. 947–961.
16. Padmakumari B., Maheskumar R.S., Morwal S.B., Harikishan G., Konwar M., Kulkarni J.R., Goswami B.N. (2012), Aircraft observations of elevated pollution layers near the foothills of the Himalayas during CAIPEEX-2009, Quarterly Journal of Royal Meteorological Society, DOI:10.1002/qj.1989, 1-14.
15.Konwar M., R S Maheshkumar, J. R. Kulkarni, E. Freud, B. N. Goswami, D. Rosenfeld (2012), Aerosol control on depth of warm rain in convective clouds, Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmosphere, Volume 117, Issue D13, doi:10.1029/2012JD017585.
14.Konwar M., Anant Parekh, and B. N. Goswami (2012), Dynamics of east-west asymmetry of Indian summer monsoon rainfall trends in recentdecades, Geophysical Research Letters, 39, L10708, doi:10.1029/2012GL052018.
13. Prabha, T. V., Anandakumar Karipot, D. Axisa, B. Padma Kumari, R. S. Maheskumar, M. Konwar, J. R. Kulkarni, and B. N. Goswami (2012), Scale interactions near the foothills of Himalayas during CAIPEEX, Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmosphere, 117, D10203, doi:10.1029/2011JD016754.
12. J. R. Kulkarni, R. S. Maheskumar, S. B. Morwal, B. Padma Kumari, M. Konwar, C. G. Deshpande, R. R. Joshi, R. V. Bhalwankar, G. Pandithurai, P. D. Safai, S. G. Narkhedkar, K. K. Dani, A. Nath, Sathy Nair, V. V. Sapre, P. V. Puranik, S. S. Kandalgaonkar, V. R. Mujumdar, R. M. Khaladkar, R. Vijayakumar, T. V. Prabha and B. N. Goswami, (2012), The Cloud Aerosol Interaction and Precipitation Enhancement Experiment (CAIPEEX):overview and preliminary results, Current Science, 102, NO. 3, 10.
11. Prabha, T. V., A. Khain, R. S. Maheshkumar, G. Pandithurai, J. R. Kulkarni, M. Konwar and B. N. Goswami (2011), Microphysics of Premonsoon and Monsoon Clouds as Seen from In Situ Measurements during the Cloud Aerosol Interaction and Precipitation Enhancement Experiment (CAIPEEX), Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, Vol 68, pp 1882-1901, DOI:10.1175/2011JAS3707.1.
10. Deshpande, S. M., P. Ernest Raj, and M. Konwar (2011), Vertical variation of low-frequency oscillations in UHF radar derived winds at a tropical Indian station, Journal of Geophysical Research- Atmosphere, VOL. 116, D24125, doi:10.1029/2011JD016226.
9. KonwarM., R. S. Maheskumar, J. R. Kulkarni, E. Freud, B. N. Goswami, and D. Rosenfeld (2010), Suppression of warm rain by aerosols in rain-shadow areas of India Atmos. Chem. Phys. Discuss., 10, 17009-17027, 2010,doi:10.5194/acpd-10-17009 (non peer review publication).
8. Dutta, D., D. K. Sarma, M. Konwar, S. Sharma, G. Viswanathan, R. M. Gairola, J Das, B A M Kannan & S Venkateswaralu (2010), Nowcasting of Yes/No rain situations at a station using soft computing technique to the radar imagery, Indian Journal of Radio & Space Physics, Vol. 39, pp 92-102.
7. Sharma, S., M. Konwar, D. K. Sarma, MCR Kalapureddy and A. R. Jain (2009), Characteristics of Rain Integral Parameters during Tropical Convective, Transition, and Stratiform Rain at Gadanki and Its Application in Rain Retrieval, Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, Vol 48, DOI:10.1175/2008JAMC1948.1.
6.Konwar, M., D. K. Sarma, S. Sharma, U. K. De, S. Pal and J. Das (2008) Estimation of rain parameters from spectral moments of L-band wind profiler using Multi-Layer Perceptron Network model, Indian Journal of Radio & Space Physics, Vol. 37, pp.341-352.
5. Sarma, D. K., M. Konwar, S. Sharma, S. Pal, J. Das, U. K. De, and G. Viswanathan ( 2008), An Artificial-Neural-Network-Based Integrated Regional Model for Rain Retrieval Over Land and Ocean, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, VOL. 46, NO. 6.
4. Sharma, S., D. K. Sarma, M. Konwar, J. Das and A. R. Jain (2008), Retrieval of raindrop size distributions from the L-band and VHF wind profilers during convective and stratiform rain, Indian Journal of Radio & Space Physics, Vol. 37, pp. 185-196.
3.Konwar M., D. K. Sarma, J. Das and S. Sharma (2006), Shape of the rain drop size distributions and classification of rain type at Gadanki, Indian Journal of Radio & Space Physics, Vol. 35, pp. 360-367.
2. Sarma, D. K., M. Konwar, S. Sharma, J. Das and S. Pal (2006), Characteristics of brightness temperature with respect to rain rate over ocean and land and its implication on rain rate retrieval, Indian Journal of Radio Space Physics, Vol. 35, pp. 259-269.
1. Sarma, D. K., M. Konwar, J. Das, S. Pal, and S. Sharma (2005), A Soft Computing Approach for Rainfall Retrieval From the TRMM Microwave Imager, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, VOL. 43, NO. 12.
22. Analysis of microphysical cloud structure in high resolution in-situ measurements,Mahen Konwar, Thara Prabhakaran, Alexander Khain and Mark Pinsky, ICCP-2020
21. Cloud Chemical Speciation Measurements Conducted On-Line with a mini-AMS during the CAIPEEX Seeding Study.Subharthi Chowdhuri, Edward Fortner, Benjamin Werden, Mahen Konwar, Sachin Patil, Mercy Varghese, Sudarsan Bera, P Murugavel, Philip Croteau, John Jayne, Manjula Canagaratna, Kurt Hibert, Neelam Malap, Sandeep J, Duncan Axisa, Peter F. DeCarlo, Douglas Worsnop, Thara Prabhakaran, Aerodyne Research, Inc. AAAR 38th Annual Conference October 5 - October 9, 2020
20. Choudhury, B. A., Konwar, M., Hazra, A., Pithani, P., Gudhe, S. D., Deshamukhya, A., and Barth, M. C.; poster presentation on: Explicating the microphysics and mechanism behind severe pre-monsoon thunderstorms over NE India in International Conference on Thunderstorm and Lightning (ICTLT), 2019; 17-19 January 2019; Organised by- Odisha State Disaster Management Authority (OSDMA) & Centre for Environment & Climate, Dept. of Civil Engineering, ITER, Siksha O Anusandhan, Bhubaneswar, Odisha, 751030, INDIA.
19. Choudhury, B. A., Konwar, M., Hazra, A., Pithani, P., Gudhe, S. D.,Deshamukhya, A., and Barth, M. C.; poster presentation on: WRF simulation and its validation with TRMM observation for a pre-monsoon thunderstorm over North East India in The International Tropical Meteorology (INTROMET) Symposium 2017; 07-11 November 2017; Organised by- IMS,SAC, ISRO, Ahmedabad-380015, Gujarat, INDIA .
17. Aerosol cloud interaction in the West coast of India and Arabian sea during the drought year of 2015, T. V. Prabha, M. Varghese, G. Kulkarni, M. Konwar and co-authors, International Conference on Clouds & Precipitations, Manchester, UK, 2016 (poster presented by T.V. Prabha).