The Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM), Pune celebrated its 57th Foundation Day on 17 November 2018 in a befitting manner. On this occasion, Dr. Vijay P. Bhatkar, Eminent Scientist and Philosopher, Chancellor of Nalanda University, and National President, Vijnana Bharati (VIBHA) was the Chief Guest, while Dr. Satish R. Shetye, Former Director of National Institute of Oceanography (NIO) and Former Vice Chancellor, Goa University was the Guest of Honour.
On this occasion, following IITM awards were presented:
- IITM Golden Jubilee Award 2017 to Dr. G. Pandithurai and Dr. Thara Prabhakaran.
- IITM Annual Silver Jubilee Award for the best research paper published in peer reviewed journal for the year 2017 to the paper “Recent trends and tele-connections among South and East Asian summer monsoons in a warming environment” by Preethi B., Mujumdar M., Kripalani R.H., Prabhu A. and Krishnan R. published in Climate Dynamics, Vol. 48, April 2017, DOI:10.1007/s00382-016-3218-0, 2489-2505.
- Dr. Ananthakrishnan Award for the Best Ph.D. thesis for the year 2017 to Dr. Sachin Patade for his thesis “New Parameterization for Ice Nucleation in Indian Monsoon Clouds based on CAIPEEX Observation” under the guidance of Dr. Thara Prabhakaran (IITM) and Dr. Kumar P.P. (Savitribai Phule Pune University).
- The Best Student Research Paper Award for 2017 to
- Dr.(Smt.) Gayatri K. for the paper “Aerosol-Cloud interaction in deep convective clouds over the Indian Peninsula using spectral (bin) microphysics” published in Journal of Atmospheric Sciences, 74, October 2017, 9, DOI:10.1175/JAS-D-17-0034.1, 3145-3166 by Gayatri K. et.al.
- Mr. Ustav Bhowmik for the paper “Statistical characteristics of convective clouds over the Western Ghats derived from weather radar observations” published in Journal of Geophysical Research, 122, September 2017, DOI:10.1002/2016JD026183, 1-27.
- IITM Excellent Performance Award for the year 2017 for the Scientific, Administrative, Support and Multi-Tasking Staff categories to Shri R.S.K. Singh, Smt. Bhavna Naik, Shri Raju Dhanak and Shri I.R. Mehetre respectively.
- IITM Junior Research Fellow Best Student Award was given to Nimya S.S. (1st position) and Lekshmi Mudra (2nd position).
A Mobile App “DAMINI” on Lightning Location Network developed by IITM was also released on this occasion.
Dr. Satish Shetye delivered the IITM Foundation Day lecture on the topic “The role of topography in defining the behavior of the Indian Summer Monsoon”.
The winners of the Golden Jubilee Award, Silver Jubilee Award and Best Student Research Paper Award also delivered lectures on their respective research achievements.
The Foundation Day celebrations concluded with a simple but impressive cultural programme by IITM employees in the evening.
Click here for Programm of Foundation Day.
Golden jubilee citation
Silver jubilee citation
Read more about App, DAMINI