Advanced Meteorological Training, India Meteorology Department (IMD), 2001, one year course.
Member in organization:
India Meteorology Society
Field work Expedition:
Participated in filed work expedition with research team for collection of tree cores samples from different sites of South and East Sikkim conducted during 27 October to November 2012.
Participated in the field programme conducted during 19 October to 13 November 2009, to collect tree cores samples from different sites of Sikkim.
Participated in field work expedition work conducted during 26 November to 12 December 2007 for tree cores samples collection from different sites of Karnataka forest, under the APN project “Collaborative studies in tropical Asian Dendrochronology: Addressing Challenges in Climate and Forest Ecology.
Participated in field work expedition to collect the tree cores samples and few horizontal section (disc) from different sites of Kerala, during 29 December 2003 to 25 January 2004.
Participated in field work expedition conducted during 24 September to 14 October 2004 to collect tree cores samples from different sites of high altitude in Himachal Pradesh over western Himalaya.
Participated in field work expedition conducted during 29 April to 4 June 2003 for collection of tree cores samples from different sites of western Himalaya in India.
Participated in field work expedition for collection of tree cores samples from different sites of Jagdalpur, Chhatisgarh during 17 to 25 August 2002.
Participated in field work conducted on 13/6/2002 to collect tree cores samples from Manchar, Pune, Maharashtra.
Participated in field expeditions of a team for collection of tree cores samples and few section (disc) from Central India during October-November 2001, to prepare a good network of tree ring chronologies for dendroclimatic analysis.
Visited (Snow and Avalanches Studies Establishment (SASE), Chandigarh during 17 to 22 July 2004, to bring tree core samples collected from high altitude region, near glaciers, under the project Dendroglaciological studies of high altitude glaciers sites of western Himalaya”funded by SASE
Worked in projects
I was an active member of the project viz “Dendroglaciological studies of high altitude glaciers sites of western Himalaya” funded by SASE.
I was actively involved in the project entitled “Collaborative Studies in Tropical Asian Dendrochronology: Addressing Challenges in Climate and Forest Ecology”.
Publications (Peer reviewed Journals)
19. Somaru Ram (2018). Tree ring-width variations over western Himalaya in India and its
linkage with heat and aridity indices. Natural Hazard, 92, 635-645.
18. H.P. Borgaonkar, Naveen Gandhi, Somaru Ram, R. Krishnan (2018). Tree ring reconstruction of late summer temperatures in northern Sikkim (eastern Himalayas). Palaeogeography,palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 504, 125-135.
17. Somaru Ram, H.P. Borgaonkar and S.S. Nandargi (2017), Western Himalaya trees growth study and its association with droughts in India: A case study. Global Journal of BotanicalScience, 5, 33-38.
16. Somaru Ram and H.P. Borgaonkar (2017), Moisture index during the last two inferred from tree growth in western Himalaya, India. Current Science, Vol. 112, No. 12, 2453-2455.
15. Saikat Sengupta, H.P. Borgaonkar, R.M. Joy, Somaru Ram (2017), Monsoon climate response in Indian teak (Tectona grandis L.F.) along a transect coast to inland. Theoretical and applied Climatology, http://doi.org/10.1007/s00704-017-2334-z
14. Somaru Ram and H.P. Borgaonkar (2016), Reconstruction of heat index based on tree-ring width records of western Himalaya in India. Dendrochronologia, 40, 64-71.
13. Somaru Ram and H.P. Borgaonkar (2014), Tree-ring analysis over western Himalaya and
its long-term association with vapor pressure and potential evapotranspiration. Dendrochronologia, 32, 2014, 32-38.
12. Somaru Ram and H.P. Borgaonkar (2014), Climatic response of various parameters of fir (Abies Pindrow) from Chandanwadi in Jammu and Kashmir, western Himalaya, India. Current Science, Vol. 106 (11), 2014, 1568-1576.
11. Somaru Ram and H.P. Borgaonkar (2013), Growth response of conifer trees from high-altitude region of Western Himalaya. Current science, Vol. 105 (2), 225-231.
10. Somaru Ram (2012), Tree growth-climate relationship of conifer trees and reconstruction of summer season Palmer Drought Severity Index at Pahalgam in Srinagar, India. Quaternary International, 254, 152-158.
09. Somaru Ram (2012), On the recent strengthening of the relationship between palmer Drought Severity Index and Teak (Tectona grandis L.F.) tree-ring width chronology from Maharashtra, India: a case study. Quaternary International, 248, 92-97.
08. Somaru Ram, H.P. Borgaonkar, A.B. Sikder (2011), Growth and climate relationship in teak trees from Conolly’s plot, South India. Current Science, Vol. 100, 5, 630-633.
07. Somaru Ram, H.P. Borgaonkar, A. A Munot, A.B. Sikder (2011), Tree-ring variation in teak (Tectona grandis) from Allapalli , Maharashtra in relation to moisture index and Palmer Drought Severity Index, India. Journal of Earth System Science, 120, 713-721.
06. H.P. Borgaonkar, A.B. Sikder, Somaru Ram (2011), High altitude forest sensitivity to the recent warming: A tree-ring analysis of conifers from Western Himalaya, India Quaternary International, 236, 158-166, Doi:10.1016/j.quaint.2010.01.016
05. Somaru Ram, H.P. Borgaonkar, A.B. Sikder (2010), Varying strength of the relationship between tree-rings and summer month moisture index (April-September) over Central India: A case study. Quaternary International, 212, 70-75.
04.H.P. Borgaonkar, A.B. Sikder, Somaru Ram, G.B. Pant (2010), El Nino and related monsoon drought signals in 523-year-long ring width records of teak (Tectona grandis L.F.) tress from south India. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 285, 74-84.
03. H.P. Borgaonkar, Somaru Ram, A.B. Sikder, (2009), Assessment of tree ring analysis of high elevation Cedrus deodara D. Don From western Himalaya (India) in relation to climate and glacier fluctuations. Dendrochronologia, 27, 59-69.
02. Somaru Ram, H.P. Borgaonkar, A.B. Sikder (2008), Tree-ring analysis of teak (Tectona Grandis L.F.) in central India and its relationship with rainfall and moisture index. Journal of Earth System Science.117, 637-645.
01.H.P. Borgaonkar, A.B. Sikder, Somaru Ram, Rupa Kumar, K., G.B. Pant (2007), Dendroclimatological Investigation of high altitude Himalayan conifer and Tropical Teak trees in India. Korean Journal of Quarternary Research, 21, 15-25.
2. Somaru Ram, Growth and climate relationship in teak trees and its dendroclimatic potential in India. Proc. “Tropmet -2006” national Symposium on role of Meteorology in National Development, during 21st -23rd November 2006, at IITM, Pune, Vol. I, pp. d6-d8.
1. H.P. Borgaonkar, Somaru Ram, K. Jagdesh, K. Rupa Kumar (2004) Deciphering climate variability over high altitude and near glacier of western Himalaya using instrumental and tree-ring records. Pre Symposium preceeding, International Symposium on Snow monitoring and Avalanches (ISSMA-2004) at Manali, Himachal Pradesh, during 12-16 April 2004, pp. 331-337.