University 2nd Rank, Master of Science in Oceanography, Dept. of Physical Oceanography, Cochin University, India
University 2nd Rank, Master of Technology in Atmospheric Sciences, Cochin University, India
Earth System Modeling
Principal Investigator: Modeling of SST variability in the Indian Ocean region and its potential implication on regional climate variability.
Co-Principal Investigator: Effect of sensor biases on long-term temperature changes in the upper layer of the Northern Indian Ocean.
Role of the atmosphere and ocean in the evolution of Monsoon-ENSO teleconnections in CFS.
Participated and provided invited talk in the “18th Working Group on Coupled Modeling (WGCM) meeting” held at Grainau/Garmisch, Germany, during 9-10th October 2014.
Attended Summer School on “An Introduction to the Earth-Life systems”, Sweden, July 7-11 2014.
Attended 19th Working Group on Coupled Modeling (WGCM) meeting held at Croatia, during 18-20th October 2015, through webex and provided invited talk.
Attended and provided invited talk in 4th IBSA ESM Meeting, Brazil, 27-29th July 2015.
Participated and provided invited talk in the 20th Working Group on Coupled Modeling (WGCM) meeting held at Princeton, New York, 1-2 November 2016.
Attended “Model Hierarchies Workshop” held at Princeton University, New Jersey, USA, 2-4th November 2016.
Attended and provided invited talk in the IPCC WCRP Workshop on “Connecting Climate Model Evaluation to Fitness-for-Purpose” held during 23-24 February 2017, Max Planck Institute for Meteorology, Hamburg, Germany
Attended and provided invited talk in the 21st Working Group on Coupled Modeling (WGCM) meeting, 9th October 2017, Met Office, Exeter, UK
Attended and provided invited talk in PAN-WCRP meeting, 10-13 October 2017, Met Office, Exeter, UK
Discussion meeting with Head and Modeling Group at ECMWF, UK during 13th October 2017.
Served as a resource person for providing lectures for the IITM-ICTP Targeted Training Activity (TTA) 2017: Monsoons in a Changing Climate, 31 July - 4 August 2017, ICTP, Trieste, Italy
India-UK Frontiers of Science (FOS) Symposium, Royal Society, Milton Keynes, UK, 15-18 May 2018
SST variability in the Indian Ocean region and its potential implication on seasonal monsoon variability over India, 5th Group Monitoring Workshop, S.V.University, Tirupathi, India, 17th-18th October 2011.
Tropical Indian Ocean warming and weakening of Southwest monsoon circulation in recent decades. International Conference “Opportunities and Challenges in Monsoon Prediction in a Changing Climate (OCHAMP)”, IITM, India, 21-25 February, 2012.
Indian Ocean and Monsoon coupled interactions in a warming environment, Fifth MoES-CCCR National Workshop on Climate Change, Delhi, India, 4-5 October 2013
Participated and provided talk in the workshop “Climate Change and Coastal Vulnerability”, 17th December, 2014, at Anna University, Chennai.
Participated in National Monsoon Mission review meeting held during 18-20 February 2015 at IITM, Pune.
Participated in Annual Workshop -Monsoon 2014 and National Symposium on “Vagaries of Indian Summer Monsoon" held during 2-3 March 2015, IITM, Pune.
Provided talk in 2nd IITM Monsoon Discussion Forum, held at IITM during 25th June 2015
Participated and provided invited talk “Earth System Modeling for Long-term Climate Variability and Change” during the Seventh National Workshop on Climate Change, NCESS, Trivandrum, India, August 2015
Attended Annual Monsoon Workshop 2016 & National Symposium on Observation, Modeling & Monsoon Prediction, 1-2 March 2017, IITM, Pune
Provided invited talk in the Research Advisory Council Meeting held at IITM, Pune, 22-23 January 2018
Provided invited talk in the Annual Monsoon Workshop 2017 held at IITM, Pune, 27th March 2018.
Advanced training course for Meteorology, Training course for Meteorologist Gr-II, WMO training center, India Meteorological Department, July 2015
Invited talk on “The CMIP6 Simulations using IITM Earth System Model”, 18th WGCM Meeting, Grainau/Garmisch, Germany, during 9-10th October 2014.
Talk on “Climate Simulations using IITM-Earth System Model”, workshop on “Climate Change and Coastal Vulnerability”, 17th December, 2014, Anna University, Chennai.
Biosphere and climate, Advanced training course for Meteorology, WMO training center, India Meteorological Department, India, July 2015.
Science of climate change, training course for Meteorologist, WMO training center, India Meteorological Department, India, July 2015.
Invited talk on “Oceanic evolution during 2015”, Monsoon Discussion Forum, IITM, India, June, 2015.
Lead writer on the theme “Long term climate variability and change using IITM-ESM”, for preparing the strategic document on Atmospheric Science, MoES.
Invited talk on “Plan for CMIP6 using IITM-ESM”, 19th Working Group on Coupled Modeling (WGCM) meeting held at Croatia, during 18-20th October 2015
Invited talk on “IITM Earth System Model”, Advanced School on Earth System Modelling (ESM) conducted jointly by IITM, MoES and ICTP Italy during 18-27th July 2016 at IITM, Pune
Invited talk on “Simulation of Indian Monsoon Variability and its Teleconnections in IITM ESM”, Workshop on Climate Change & Regional Impacts over South Asia conducted jointly by IITM and MoES during 28-29th July 2016 at IITM, Pune
Invited talk on “The IITM Earth System Model”, 4th IBSA meeting, 27-29 July 2015, Brazil
“Improved Representation of Indian Monsoon and Global Teleconnections in IITM-ESM”, poster presented at the Research Advisory Council Meeting held at IITM, Pune
Invited talk on “IITM Earth System Model and plans for CMIP6”, 20th Working Group on Coupled Modeling (WGCM) meeting held at Princeton, New York, 1-2 November 2016.
Invited talk on “The IITM Earth System Model: Development and Future Road Map”, 2 August 2017, ICTP, Italy
Invited talk on “Monsoon Simulation in IITM ESM : Present Day and Future Scenario”, 3 August 2017, ICTP, Trieste, Italy.
Invited talk on “Regional Downscaling and High-Resolution (AGCM) Climate simulations”, 4 August 2017, ICTP, Trieste, Italy
Invited talk on “Updates on CMIP6 experiments from Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM), India” at PAN-WCRP meeting, 10 October 2017, Met Office, Exeter, UK
“Multi-decadal sea-level rise in the North Indian Ocean”, 22 January 2018, Research Advisory Committee Meeting, IITM, Pune
Invited talk on “Weakening of summer monsoon circulation inducing increasing sea level in the north Indian Ocean”, Annual Monsoon Workshop, March 2018.
Invited talk on “Sea-Level Rise and Global Climate Change”, India-UK Frontiers of Science (FOS) Symposium, Milton Keynes, UK, 15-18th May 2018.
Earth System Model development and Research
Climate Science and Ocean-Atmospheric dynamics
26. Swapna P., Sreeraj P., Narayanasetti S., Jyoti J., Krishnan R., Prajeesh A.G., Ayantika D.C., Singh Manmeet, Increasing frequency of extremely severe cyclonic storms in the North Indian Ocean by anthropogenic warming and southwest monsoon weakening, Geophysical Research Letters, 49: e2021GL094650, February 2022, DOI:10.1029/2021GL094650, 1-11
25. Prajeesh A.G., Swapna P., Krishnan R., Ayantika D. C., Sandeep N., Singh Manmeet., Modi A., Ingle S., The Indian summer monsoon and Indian Ocean Dipole connection in the IITM Earth System Model (IITM-ESM), Climate Dynamics, Online, October 2021, DOI:10.1007/s00382-021-05999-z, 1-21
24. Tebaldi C., Debeire K., Eyring V., ..., Swapna P., … et al., Climate model projections from the Scenario Model Intercomparison Project (ScenarioMIP) of CMIP6, Earth System Dynamics, 12, DOI:10.5194/esd-12-253-2021, 253–293
23. Ayantika D.C., Krishnan R., Singh M., Swapna P., Sandeep N., Prajeesh A.G., Vellore R., Understanding the combined effects of global warming and anthropogenic aerosol forcing on the South Asian monsoon, Climate Dynamics, 56, March 2021, DOI:10.1007/s00382-020-05551-5, 1-20
22. Singh M., Krishnan R., Goswami B., Choudhury A.D., Swapna P., Vellore R., Prajeesh A.G., Sandeep N., Venkataraman C., Donner R.V., Marwan N., Kurths J., Fingerprint of volcanic forcing on the ENSO–Indian monsoon coupling, Science Advances, 6: eaba8164, September 2020, DOI:10.1126/sciadv.aba8164
21. Sandeep N., Swapna P., Krishnan R., Farneti R., Prajeesh A.G., Ayantika D.C., Manmeet S., South Asian monsoon response to weakening of Atlantic meridional overturning circulation in a warming climate, Climate Dynamics, Online, February 2020, DOI:10.1007/s00382-020-05180-y, 1-18
20. Rahaman H., Srinivasu U., Swapana P., Durgadoo J.V., Griffies S.M., Ravichandran M., Bozec A., Cherchi A., Voldoire A., Sidorenkoi D., Chassignet E.P., Danabasoglu G., Tsujino H., Getzlaff K., Ilicak M., Bentsen M., Long M.C., Fogli P.G., Farneti R., Danilov S., Marsland S.J., Valcke S., Yeager S.G., Wang Q., Assessment of the Indian Ocean mean state and seasonal cycle in a suite of interannual CORE-II simulations, Ocean Modelling, 145:101503, January 2020, DOI:10.1016/j.ocemod.2019.101503, 1-45
19. Jyoti J., Swapna P., Krishnan R., Naidu C.V., Pacific modulation of accelerated south Indian Ocean sea level rise during the early, Climate Dynamics, 53, October 2019, DOI:10.1007/s00382-019-04795-0, 4413-4432
18. Swapna P, Krishnan R, Sandeep N.S, Prajeesh A.G, Ayantika D.C, Manmeet S and R. Vellore (2018), Long-term climate simulations using the IITM Earth System Model (IITM-ESMv2) with focus on the South Asian Monsoon. Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems, 10, https://doi.org/10.1029/2017MS001262
17. Swapna P., J. Jyoti, R. Krishnan, S. Narayan Setti and S.M. Griffies (2017), Multi-decadal weakening of Indian summer monsoon circulation induces an increasing northern Indian Ocean sea level. Geophysical Research Letters, October, 2017, doi: 10.1002/2017GL074706
16. K. Ashok, M. Shamal, A. K. Sahai and P. Swapna (2017), Nonlinearities in the Evolutional Distinctions Between El Nino and La Nina Types, Journal of Geophysical Research, doi: 10.1002/2017JC013129, 2017
15. Sandeep S, P. Swapna, K. Ashok, and Jyoti Jadhav and K. Krishnan (2016), Significant role of Ningaloo Niño/Niña in modulating biological productivity in the southern subtropical Indian Ocean in the recent decades, Scientific Reports, 6, 27467
14. Swapna P., M. K. Roxy, A. Krishnamurti, K. Kulkarni, A.G.P. Prajeesh, K. Ashok, R. Krishnan, S. Moorthi, A. Kumar and B. N. Goswami. (2015), The IITM Earth System Model: Transformation of a Seasonal Prediction Model to a Long Term Climate Model, Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 96, August 2015, DOI:10.1175/BAMS-D-13-00276.1, 1351-1367. doi:10.1175/BAMS-D-13-00276.1.
13. Jyoti J., P. Swapna, M. Shamal and K. Ashok. (2015), On the possible cause of distinct El Niño types in the recent decades, Scientific Reports, 5, November 2015, DOI:10.1038/srep17009, No.17009, 1-21.
12. Sreejith O.P., P. Swapna, D.S. Pai and M. Rajeevan. (2015), An Indian Ocean precursor for Indian Summer Monsoon Rainfall Variability, Geophysical Research Letters, 42, November 2015, DOI:10.1002/2015GL065950, 1-10.
11. Shamal M., K. Ashok, P. Swapna and T.P. Sabin (2015), Revisiting El Niño Modokis, Climate Dynamics, online, March 2015, DOI:10.1007/s00382-015-2555-8, 1-19.
10. Roxy, M. K., A. Modi, R. Murtugudde, V. Valsala, Swapna P., S. Prasanna Kumar, M. Ravichandran, M. Vichi, and M. Lévy (2016), A reduction in marine primary productivity driven by rapid warming over the tropical Indian Ocean, Geophys. Res. Lett.,43, DOI:10.1002/2015GL066979
9. Swapna P, R. Krishnan and J. M. Wallace (2013), Indian Ocean and Monsoon coupled interactions in a warming environment, Climate Dynamics, doi:10.1007/s00382-013-1787-8.
8. Ashok K., Sabin.T.P.,Swapna P., Murtugudde R.G. (2012), Is a global warming signature emerging in the tropical Pacific?, Geophysical Research Letters, 39, doi:10.1029/2011GL050232, L02701.
7. Krishnan R., Sundaram S., Swapna P., Vinay Kumar, Ayantika D.C., Mujumdar M (2010), Crucial role of ocean-atmosphere coupling on the Indian monsoon anomalous response during dipole events, Climate Dynamics, DOI 10.1007/s00382-010-0830-2, 1-17.
6. Sundaram S., Krishnan R., Dey A., Swapna P. (2010), Dynamics of intensification of the boreal summer monsoon flow during IOD events, Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics, online, DOI 10.1007/s00703-010-0066-z, 1-15.
5. Swapna P, Jianping Gan, Alexis Lau and Jimmy Fung (2009), On the warm/cold regime shift in the South China Sea: Observation and modelling study, Deep Sea ResearchI, 56, 1039–1056.
4. R. Krishnan and P. Swapna (2009), Significant influence of boreal summer monsoon flow on the Indian Ocean response during dipole events, Journal of Climate, 22, 5611-5634.
3.Swapna P., N. Bahulayan and N.A. Diansky (2009), Upper ocean variability in the Bay of Bengal during 2006 IOD, Advances in Geosciences, 12, 197-211.
2. Swapna P. and R. Krishnan (2008), Equatorial undercurrents associated with Indian Ocean Dipole events during contrasting summer monsoons, Geophysical Research Letters, 35, L14S04, doi:10.1029/2008GL033430.
1. Swapna P. and M.R. Ramesh Kumar (2002), Role of low level flow on the summer monsoon rainfall over the Indian subcontinent during two contrasting monsoon years, Journal of Indian Geophysical Union, 6, 123-137, 2002.
Proceedings, Books, Research Reports
Other research publications
Title of the paper
Interim Report on Climate Change over India, Edited by Dr. R. Krishnan and J. Sanjay
R. Krishnan and P. Swapna
Chapter 3: The IITM Earth System Model (IITM ESM); http://cccr.tropmet.res.in/home/reports.jsp
Working Group Report, Report of the twenty first session of the Working Group on Coupled Modelling