Nominated as Member, Board of Studies, Department of Meteorology and Oceanography, Andhra University for the period 2016 to 2019
Co-chaired the lead talk session in National seminar – “Impact of Climate Change On Extreme Weather Events and Indian Ocean (EWEIO-2017)” held during 27th to 29th November, 2017
Life Member Indian Meteorological Society (IMS), India
Life Member, Ocean Society of India (OSI), India
Stood second in the SERC School on “Ocean – Atmosphere Interactions and Global Change” held at Department of Meteorology & Oceanography, Andhra University, Visakhapatnam during 14th July – 3rd August, 2010.
1. CSIR - UGC NET for Junior Research Fellowship (qualified during 2005)
2. CSIR - UGC NET for Lecturership (qualified during 2004)
Reviewer for the Journals
Journal of Geophysical Research
International Journal of Climatology
Deep Sea Research – I and II
IEEE Geo-science and Remote Sensing Letters
Journal of Earth System Science
Theoretical and Applied Climatology
Journal of Integrated Coastal Zone Management
Journal of Ocean University of China
Indian Journal of Geo-Marine Sciences
Participation in National and International Seminars/ Conferences/ workshops/ meetings
a) Participations - International
1) Participated in “Advanced Data Assimilation for Geosciences” held during 28th May to 15th June, 2012, organized by Ecole de Physique, Les Houches, FRANCE.
2) Participated in ICTP Advanced School on Oceanography (ASO), “World Climate and overturning circulation in oceans and Mediterranean Seas”, held during 30th April to 11th May 2007, organized by International Center for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) at Miamare, Trieste, ITALY.
3) Participated in "Fundamentals of ocean climate modeling at global and regional scale", jointly organized by ESSO - INCOIS and ICTP, held at INCOIS, Hyderabad during 5-14 August, 2013.
4) Participated in “World Ocean Science Congress – WOSC 2019” held during 25th to 27th February, 2019 at Andhra University, Andhra Pradesh, India.
b) Participations - National
21) Attended the Annual Monsoon Workshop - for 2017 monsoon, conducted by IMS Pune chapter, IITM on 27th March, 2018.
20) Participated the national seminar on Extreme Weather events and Indian Ocean, held in the Department of Meteorology & Oceanography, Andhra University, Visakhapatnam during 27th to 29th November, 2017.
19) Attended Monsoon Mission Review Meeting - International projects, held during 17 to 18th February, 2017 at Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology, Pune.
18) Participated the "Annual Monsoon - 2016 workshop" held at Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology held on 15th March, 2017.
17) Participated in 4th National Conference of Ocean Society of India (OSICON 15) “ Oceanic Processes along the coasts of India” held during 22nd to 24th March, 2015 at National Institute of Tropical Meteorology, Goa.
16) Participated in “Annual Workshop on Monsoon-2015 and National Symposium on Vagaries of Monsoon” IMSP workshop held during 02 to 03 March, 2015 at Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology, Pune.
15) Participated the “Monsoon Mission Review Meeting” held at Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology, Pune during 18th to 20th February, 2015.
14) Participated in “Impact of Climate change, Success and challenges in Ocean Atmospheric Research (SCOAR- 2014)” national seminar held at Andhra University, Visakhapatnam during 9 to 11 October, 2014.
13) Participated in - “SARAL International Science and Applications Meeting” held during 22nd to 24th April, 2014 at SAC, Ahemadabad.
12) Participated in “Ocean Society of India national conference” - OSICON’2013 organized at Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology, during 26-28 November, 2013.
11) Participated in the "Short Course on Ensemble Kalman Filtering - Methods and Algorithms” organized at International Training center for operational oceanography, ESSO - INCOIS, Hyderabad during July 15-26, 2013
10) Participated in "Fundamentals of ocean climate modeling at global and regional scale", jointly organized by ESSO - INCOIS and ICTP, held at INCOIS, Hyderabad during 5-14 August, 2013.
9) “National workshop on Data Assimilation for Atmosphere and Ocean sciences” held during 3rd to 10th October, 2012 at Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology, Pune.
8) Participated in IITM Golden Jubilee International Conference on "Opportunities and Challenges in Monsoon Prediction in a Changing Climate" (OCHAMP-2012) during the period 21-25 February, 2012, Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology, Pune
7) Attended International Meeting on “Seamless Prediction System: Coupled Modelling and Assimilation”, during 19-21 March 2012, organized by National Center for Medium Range Weather Forecast, Ministry of Earth Sciences, New Delhi
6) Participated in National Workshop cum Training on – “Ocean Initialization for Coupled Models”, during 22-24 March 2012, organized by National Center for Medium Range Weather Forecast, Ministry of Earth Sciences, New Delhi
5) Participated in the “Second AltiKa Science workshop” held during 15th – 17th March 2011 at ISRO – SAC (Space Applications Centre), Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
4) Participated in the SERC School on “Ocean – Atmosphere Interactions and Global Change” held at Department of Meteorology & Oceanography, Andhra University, Visakhapatnam during 14th July – 3rd August, 2010.
3) Participated in the training course on “Methodologies for Assessment of Reservoir Sedimentation” conducted by Central Water & Power Research station at Khadakwasla, Pune during 01st – 03rd December, 2010.
2) Participated in “National Conference of Ocean Society of India” (OSICON’09) held during 19-21 March 2009 at Andhra University, Visakhapatnam.
1) Participated in training programme on “Coastal Oceanography: Remote sensing and GIS applications” during 29th January to 10th February, 2007 by Centre for studies on Bay of Bengal, AU and Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services.
Life member - Indian Meteorological Society (IMS), India
Life member - Ocean Society of India (OSI), India
21. Sreeush, M.G., Saran, R, Vinu, V, Sreenivas P, Prasad KVSR, and Raghu M., (2019), Variability, trend and controlling factors of Ocean acidification over Western Arabian Sea upwelling region, Marine Chemistry, Volume 209, 2019, Pages 14-24.
20. Rao, GN and Sreenivas P., Anomalous circulation around southern Indian peninsula observed during winter, 2009; and the generation mechanisms, in press, Indian Journal of Geo Marine Sciences (2019).
19. Sreeush, M. G., Valsala, V., Sreenivas P., Prasad, K. V. S. R., and Murtugudde, R; A new parameterization for biological production in global models improves carbon cycle simulation, IIOE, The Indian Ocean Bubble, 9-11, Issue No. 9, July (2018).
18. Sreeush, M. G., Valsala, V., Sreenivas, P., Prasad, K. V. S. R., and Murtugudde, R.: Biological production in the Indian Ocean upwelling zones – Part 1: refined estimation via the use of a variable compensation depth in ocean carbon models, Biogeosciences, 15, 1895-1918, https://doi.org/10.5194/bg-15-1895-2018, (2018).
17. Sreenivas, P., Vivek, S. & Seshagiri Rao, K. (2018). Role of Andaman Sea in the intensification of cyclones over Bay of Bengal, Nat Hazards, Volume 91, Issue 3, pp 1113–1125. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11069-018-3170-x.
16. Vivek Seelanki, Sreenivas P., and KVSR. Prasad (2018): Impact of Aquarius Sea-Surface Salinity Assimilation in Improving the Ocean Analysis Over Indian Ocean, Marine Geodesy, Volume 41, 2018 - Issue 2, 144-158, https://doi.org/10.1080/01490419.2017.1422817.
15. H.S. Chaudhari, A. Hazra,S. Pokhrel, C. Chakrabarty, S.K. Saha, and Sreenivas P., (2018). SST and OLR relationship during Indian summer monsoon: a coupled climate modelling perspective. Meteorol Atmos Phys, Volume 130, Issue 2, pp 211–225, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00703-017-0514-0.
14. H.S. Chaudhari, Samir Pokhrel, H. Rahman, A. Dhakate, Subodh K. Saha, Sreenivas P., and R. M. Gairola (2016). Influence of upper ocean on Indian summer monsoon rainfall: studies by observation and NCEP climate forecast system (CFSv2). Theoretical and Applied Climatology, Volume 125, Issue 3–4, pp 413–426, DOI 10.1007/s00704-015-1521-z.
13. Raju A, A. Parekh, P. Sreenivas, Jasti S and C. Gnanaseelan. (2015), Estimation of Improvement in Indian Summer Monsoon Circulation by Assimilation of Satellite Retrieved Temperature Profiles in WRF Model IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing. Vol.9, Issue. 4, 1591 – 1600. DOI: 10.1109/JSTARS.2015.2410338.
12. Chowdary J.S., Chaudhari H.S., Gnanaseelan C., Parekh A., Rao Suryachandra A., Sreenivas P., Pokhrel S., Singh P. (2014), Summer monsoon circulation and precipitation over the tropical Indian Ocean during ENSO in the NCEP climate forecast system. Climate Dynamics, Volume 42, Issue 7–8, pp 1925–1947, 7, DOI 10.1007/s00382-013-1826-5.
11. Chowdary J.S., Parekh A., Gnanaseelan C., Sreenivas P. (2014), Inter-decadal modulation of ENSO teleconnections to the Indian Ocean in a coupled model: Special emphasis on decay phase of El Niño. Global and Planetary Change, 112, DOI:10.1016/j.gloplacha.2013.11.003, 33-40.
10. Sreenivas P., and Gnanaseelan C. (2014), Impact of oceanic processes on the life cycle of severe cyclonic storm Jal. IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, vol. 11, issue 2, 519 – 523,DOI:10.1109/LGRS.2013.2271512,519-523.
9. Chaudhari, H.S., Pokhrel, S, Rahaman, M., Ranalkar, A., Dhakate, S., K. Saha, and Sreenivas, P., (2014), SARAL AltiKa datasets usage in exploring and understanding of Indian monsoon system, National Natural Resources Management System (NNRMS) Bulletin, Dec 2014.
8. Raghunadha Rao A, G. Nageswara Rao , P. Sreenivas & P. V. Hareesh Kumar (2013) Role of Meso-Scale Eddies on Circulation in the South Eastern Arabian Sea in 2009, Marine Geodesy, 36:3, 319-333, DOI: 10.1080/01490419.2013.811448.
7. Sreenivas, P., J. S. Chowdary, and C. Gnanaseelan (2012), Impact of tropical cyclones on the intensity and phase propagation of fall Wyrtki jets, Geophysical Research Letters, 39, L22603, https://doi.org/10.1029/2012GL053974.
6. Sreenivas, P., Gnanaseelan, C., and Prasad, K.V.S.R., (2012), Influence of El Niño and Indian Ocean Dipole on sea level variability in the Bay of Bengal, Global and Planetary Change, 80-81, 215-225, doi:10.1016/j.gloplacha.2011.11.
5. Arun Kumar, SVV, KVSR. Prasad, KVKRK Patnaik, Ch. Venkata Ramu and P. Sreenivas, Role of nearshore waves in identifying vulnerable zones during storm and normal events, (2010), Journal of Coastal Environment, Volume. 1, No. 2.
4. Prasad, KVSR, P. Sreenivas, KVKRK Patnaik, Contribution of tides to sea level variations along Visakhapatnam, India, (2010), Marine Geodesy, 33: 2, 282-289, https://doi.org/10.1080/ 01490419 .2010.495301.
3. Patnaik, KVKRK , P. Sreenivas, Ch. Venkata Ramu, SVV Arun Kumar and KVSR Prasad, Intra-annual studies of mixed layer depth in the Arabian Sea using a 3½ layer Indian Ocean model, (2009), The Open Oceanography Journal, Volume. 3, pages: 67-72.
2. Prasad, KVSR, SVV Arun Kumar, Ch. Venkata Ramu and P. Sreenivas, (2009}, Significance of nearshore wave parameters in identifying vulnerable zones during storm and normal conditions along Visakhapatnam coast, India, Natural Hazards, Volume. 49, Issue: 2, 347-360, DOI 10.1007/s11069-008-9297-4.
1. Sreenivas P. , KVKRK Patnaik, KVSR Prasad, Monthly variability of Mixed layer over Arabian sea using ARGO data, (2008), Marine Geodesy, 31:1, 17-38. https://doi.org/10.1080/014904107018 12311.
Papers published in reports/Conference proceedings
1. Sreenivas P, C. Gnanaseelan, Rashmi Kakatkar, N. Pavan Kumar, J.S. Chowdary, Anant Parekh and P. Singh, (2015), Implementation and Validation of Global Ocean Data Assimilation System at IITM. Scientific Report, Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology, MoES, ISSN 0252-1075, ESSO/IITM/SERP/SR/01(2015)/184
2. "A Research Report on the 2015 Southwest Monsoon", IITM Research Report, ESSO/IITM/SR/02(2015)/185, Chapter 2 - Oceanic Features in the Indo-Pacific Region During the Southwest Monsoon 2015 Rashmi Khandekar, C. Gnanaseelan, P. Swapna, Anant Parekh, P. Sreenivas, G. Srinivas, J. S. Chowdary and J. S. Deepa. Research Report, Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology, MoES, ISSN 0252-1075, ESSO/IITM/SERP/ SR/ 02(2015)/185.
3. Sreenivas P and C. Gnanaseelan, Role of Bay of Bengal Barrier-layer on the intensity of severe cyclonic storm JAL, Proc. Natl. Conf. of Ocean soc. Of India (OSICON ’13), 90-93.
4. Rashmi K, Sreenivas P, C. Gnanaseelan, J.S. Chowdary, A. Parekh and Tanuja Nigam, The impact of ocean data assimilation on Indian summer monsoon forecast in a coupled ocean atmosphere model, Proc. Natl. Conf. of Ocean soc. Of India (OSICON ’13), 160-163.
5. C. Gnanaseelan, A. Deshpande, Sreenivas P. and J.S. Chowdary, Inter-annual variability of the Wyrtki jets and their regional impacts, Proc. Natl. Conf. of Ocean soc. Of India (OSICON ’13), 121-124.
Papers presented in Seminar/Symposia
1. Presented a lecture on “Dynamic link between Indian ocean and tropical cyclones” in National Conference of Ocean Society of India (OSICON 15) “ Oceanic Processes along the coasts of India” held during 22nd to 24th March, 2015 at National Institute of Tropical Meteorology, Goa
2. Presented a research work entitled "Role of Altimeter Data Assimilation in the coupled forecasting system NCEP-CFS with a special emphasis on monsoon forecast" at “SARAL International Science and Applications Meeting” held during 22nd to 24th April, 2014 at SAC, Ahemadabad
3. Presented paper entitled “Role of Bay of Bengal barrier-layer on the intensity of severe cyclonic storm ‘JAL’- Sreenivas P and C. Gnanaseelan, at OSICON-2013 held during 26-28th November, 2013.
4. P. Sreenivas and C. Gnanaseelan, Understanding the Bay of Bengal Cyclogenesis using Altimeter data, Second AltiKa Science workshop, during 15th – 17th March 2011, Space Applications Center, Ahmedabad, India.
Guidance to Students
Name of Student
Title of Thesis
Mr. Sreeush M
"Forward and Inverse Modeling of Indian Ocean carbon cycle in a biogeochemical model" (Research co-guide)
Mr. Sagar Gade
SB Pune University
“Coupled data assimilation for better monsoon prediction (ongoing)
Year of Award
Mrs. Tanuja Nigam
Impact of various Assimilation Techniques in improving Ocean state over Tropical Indian Ocean
Mr. Seelanki Vivek
Impact of AQUARIUS Sea Surface Salinity Assimilation in Improving the Ocean state analysis
Mr. Chandan Shive
“Developing methods for Transforming operational seasonal monsoon forecast products to GPS and end user friendly”
Mis. Supriya Ovhal
SB Pune University
“Understanding the role of subsurface ocean on convection and cyclogenesis over Indian Ocean”
Year of Award
Mr. Sanjay Singh
Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad
Thermodynamic aspects of ocean and atmosphere
Ms. Aanisa K.M
Kerala University of Fisheries and Ocean studies
Ocean impact on the cyclogenesis characteristics over southern tropical Indian Ocean
Ms. Sreedevi P.S.
Department of Physical Oceanography,
Impact of Indian Ocean warming on Indian Ocean circulation
Mr. P. Raj
Dept. of Met & Oceanography, Andhra University
Impact of global warming on tropical cyclones over Bay of Bengal