Instrument design: Adaptation of spherical antenna for air earth current measurement
Post graduate: M Sc (Phy.) 2000-01: 1
Graduate: BE (Instru.) 2001-02: 3
Sponsored projects : 02 (as co-P.I)
Title of project
Duration & Period
Measurement and study of three dimensional wind and turbulence with a Doppler Sodar in the atmospheric boundary layer (co-P.I.)
2007 - 2011
Measurement and study of atmospheric surface layer turbulence, energy and CO2 fluxes during the Solar eclipse 2009 and 2010
2009 - 2010
Project completion reports and annual progress reports prepared and submitted to respective funding bodies
Participation in field campaigns:
Wind, Temperature, CO2/H2O flux measurements at CAIPEEX, IGOC at Mehabub Nagar, 2011 and pilot field campaign at Pune including sensor calibration checks.
Design and execution of solar eclipse field campaign for observations of surface layer fluxes and parameters in 2009 (Pune) 2010 (Thiruvanathapuram) for 15 days each in connection with solar eclipse.
CO2 density measurements in 2009 at NCAOR, Goa pre-monsoon period.
Other small field campaigns at Goa and Ranchi including continuous aerosol measurements at Ranchi, wind fields at Pune, met parameters at Goa and earlier surface measurements of atmospheric electric parameters.
Membership in Scientific Societies:
Life member of
1. Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers
2. India Meteorological Society
3. Indian Aerosol Science and Technology Association
13. B. S. Murthy, R. Latha, Manoj Kumar. 2013. Influence of tropical cyclone ‘AILA’ on atmospheric surface layer turbulence and fluxes at Ranchi during its landfall. Atmospheric Science Letters, DOI: 10.1002/asl2.474.
12. R Latha, B S Murthy, Manojkumar, Lipi K, S Jyotsna. 2013. Aerosol radiative forcing controls: results from an Indian table-top mining region. Atmospheric Environment,doi: 10.1016/j.atmosenv.2013.09.035
11. R Latha, B S Murthy, Manoj Kumar, S Jyotsna, K Lipi, G Pandithurai, N C Mahanti. 2013. Aerosol optical properties and composition over a table top complex mining area in the monsoon trough region.Aerosol and Air Quality Research,doi: 10.4209/aaqr.2013.02.0062
10. R Latha , B S Murthy. 2013. Response of Cassava canopy to mid-day pseudo sunrise induced by solar eclipse. International Journal of Biometeorology, 57, 645-648.
9. B.S. Murthy, R. Latha, P. Sreeja. 2013. Boundary Layer Jet on the lee side of Western Ghats during southwest monsoon as revealed by high resolution sodar winds.Journal of Atmospheric and Solar Terrestrial Physics, 105-106, 101–109.
8. Latha R, B S Murthy. 2012. Natural reduction of CO2 observed in the pre-monsoon period at the coastal station, Goa. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics, 115, 73-80.
7. Murthy B.S, Latha R, Sreeja P, Dharmaraj T. 2012. Transient land breeze: Eclipse induced wind flow modifications—Observations over plant canopy. Journal of Atmospheric and Solar Terrestrial Physics, 89, 33-39.
6. Murthy B.S, Latha R, Sreeja P, Kalapureddy M.C.R, Dharmaraj T., Waghmare R.T. 2011. Pre-monsoon/monsoon thunderstorm characteristics over Pune - An investigation using Doppler Sodar observations. Journal of Atmospheric and Solar Terrestrial Physics, 73, 2356-2366.
5. R. Latha , B.S. Murthy. 2011. Boundary layer signatures of consecutive thunderstorms as observed by Doppler sodar over western India. Atmospheric Research, 99, 230–240.
4. V. Ravi, James George, R. Latha, B. S. Murthy, T. Dharamaraj, C.S. Ravindran and S.K. Naskar. 2010. Effect of the Annular Solar Eclipse of 15 January 2010 on Meteorological Variables, Photosynthetic Electron Transport Rate and Photosystem II Efficiency of Cassava (Manihot esculenta Crantz.) Journal of Root Crops, 36/1, 72-77.
3. B. S. Murthy, R. Latha, Cini Sukumaran, A. Shivaji and S. Sivaramakrishnan. 2009. On the influence of spatial heterogeneity on an internal boundary layer at a short fetch. Journal of Earth System Science, 118, 1, 61-70.
2. R Latha. 2007.Micrometeorological influences and surface layer radon production: consequences on atmospheric electric field. Atmospheric Environment, 41, 867-877.
1. R Latha. 2003. Diurnal variation of surface electric field at a tropical station in different seasons: plausible influences. Earth, Planets and Space, 55, 677-685.
Proceedings, Books, Research Reports
1. Latha R., 2002, A Spherical antenna to measure air earth current profile – some initial observations, pp 70, Proceedings of XII NSSS, 25-28 Feb
2. Latha R, Murthy B S, Jyotsna S, Manoj Kumar S, Dipu S and Pandithurai G. Effect of dust and rain events on aerosol optical properties and radiation:IASTA-2010, 19/1&2, pp 99-100, March, 24-26, Darjeeling, 2010.
3. Latha R. On the efficacy of radionuclide emission as a control on surface electric field, the micrometeorological constraint.Geophy. Res. Abstracts, Vol, 10. EGU-2008-A-07349, 2008
4. Latha R. Trees and Atmospheric Electric Field; the Natural Pollutant Sieves? International conference on Climate change, May 29-31, Hongkong, 2007
5. Latha R. A Spherical Antenna to measure Air Earth Current profile- some initial observations. XII National Space Science symposium, Dept. of Physics, Barkatullah University, Bhopal, Feb., 25-28, 2002