Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology, situated at Dr. Homi Bhabha Road, Pashan, Pune is an autonomous research organization under the Ministry of Earth Sciences since 12 July 2006, (Formerly it was under the Department of Science & Technology, New Delhi) conducting research in various aspect of atmospheric sciences, particularly those concerning monsoons and tropical climate. Its goal are to enhance knowledge in atmospheric sciences by identifying, planning and conducting research programmes on problems of national and international importance.
The research is conducted in the area of atmospheric sciences like weather forecasting, climatology, monsoon studies, climate modeling, hydrometeorolgy, weather modification, atmospheric chemistry, atmospheric electricity and physics for observationsal studies, theoretical studies and studies including land surface processes.
Its functions and duties are :
- To promote, guide and conduct research in the field of meteorology in all its aspects, including weather modification, with special reference to the tropics and sub-tropics.
- To establish, maintain and manage laboratories, workshops and / or other units to assist scientific research in Meteorology.
- To conduct field experiments connected with the research activities of the Institute.
- To undertake the design, development and construction of special meteorological instruments for research.
- To organize training facilities for advanced study and research in Meteorology, and arrange lectures, seminars and symposia in pursuance of the academic work of the Institute and for the diffusion of scientific knowledge.
- To invite scientists from India and abroad who are actively engaged in research in Meteorology to deliver lectures and participate in the research activities of the Institute.
- To institute and award fellowships, scholarships, prizes and medals.
- To co-operate and collaborate with other national and international organizations in the field of Meteorology and allied sciences.
- To publish the results of research conducted in the Institute.
- To disseminate information on matters concerning the activities of the Institute.